A question for FN owners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daina91880

For those of you who hve a FN and make your own shelves and ledges, what size hardware do you get? I was at Home Depot last night, considering getting supplies to make a couple full width shelves, and my head was spinning. The washers were either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2... I couldn't figure out if the 1 1/4" would be too small or not. What size hanger bolts do you usually buy, and do I need a drill, or is there a non-power tool way to go about this? I ended up leaving. I have some ledges and other things coming in the mail soon, so I'm going to get everything up and then decide what more to add.

Any pointers would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

I use 1/4 in hardware (hanger bolts, wingnuts, carriage bolts). I use a drill to predrill all my holes, but I'm sure it's not the only way.

See this thread to install hanger bolts without a drill

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31313

Just don't try that with poplar, its too hard. It will work with KD pine though.

Good luck!

Ps, make sure you get stainless steel hardware. Zinc is known to be toxic for chinchillas. While the hardware is on the outside of the cage, a small portion of the washers could be within reach of your chin.

Last edited:
Back