A New Milestone

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aridan

So I was very happy today that Luna let me comb her. I had taken the comb to her a couple of times before, and she was not a big fan, and I never forced the issue. However today when I used it, she actually stopped what she was doing and held very still for it. She has made little soft noises sometimes when I've used it, and I'm not sure if that means it was uncomfortable for her or if she was just surprised by it.

On a side note, is it anger or playfulness when they jump at your hands or arms and softly nip? She spends a lot of time trying to dig her way under the playpen and when she chews the carpet in her attempt, I try to discourage her with my hands. She has taken to nipping me when I do this, or sometimes she will turn and jump at my hands and softly nip.I can see it being annoyance. Just wondering if your chins do this, and what it means for them.

Thanks!

Kelle

It sounds to me like she is being a brat and is actually mad and charging at you. You need to discourage the behavior when she does it or it might escalate into actual biting.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Do you have any thoughts on the best way to discourage the behavior? What I do now is just not let her have her way when she acts like, same with any nipping. Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks again!

You are doing the right thing by not giving in to her. You can also tell her"no" in a firm voice. Don't yell, just be firm or you could frighten her and make things worse. She will stop once she figures out that her charging and nipping will not get her her way.

Back