A little wet around his eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

I noticed today when I looked at Tigger, it looks like the fur right below his eye is a little damp. I looked at his eyes and don't see anything, and everything else appears fine. Anyone know what this could be from? or could it just be harmless?

How is the ventilation in the room where he is kept? Is there good circulation? Has he had a dust bath today? Could dust have gotten in the eye? (Strange, but yes it happens).

How is he eating? Everything okay there? Poops good?

How is the ventilation in the room where he is kept? Is there good circulation? Has he had a dust bath today? Could dust have gotten in the eye? (Strange, but yes it happens).

How is he eating? Everything okay there? Poops good?

I think circulation is good, I've had the air on all day, not sure if that makes a difference. They didn't get a dust bath today, I believe he's eating fine and pooping fine, Both him and Eeyore are in the same cage, but all the poop seems normal, he's been acting normal and quickly came out for his treat. I don't see anything else wrong except the little wet spot under his eye, and couldn't see anything in his eyes when I looked.

I've had this on and off with Rocky. This is only our experience, maybe the experts here can give you more info.
She did have pink eye a while ago, but with that the fur around her eye got progressively wetter. It is apparently contagious between species (I got it from her) and can be part of a respiratory infection or possibly allergies. Rocky had a URI.
It's possible for them to injure the eye slightly (poked with a bit of hay,etc.) and scratch the cornea.
Either of those two possibilities needs a vet visit.
Rocky recovered from pink eye but has a blocked tear duct. She starts to look wet under the eye a day after her dust bath. She gets dust baths more frequently which seems to help. I also periodically clean the eye witha gauze pad and put in some saline if she'll hold still. There's nothing to be done to fix this, unfortunately.
HOWEVER - dust baths are a BAD idea if there's an infection or scratch. The dust will stick to the wet fur near the eye and could irritate the eye even further.
I would watch it until tomorrow and if it's still wet call your vet.

This happened once with one of our chins. Turned out he pulled a piece of hay out of the rack and poked himself in the eye...

I've had this on and off with Rocky. This is only our experience, maybe the experts here can give you more info.
She did have pink eye a while ago, but with that the fur around her eye got progressively wetter. It is apparently contagious between species (I got it from her) and can be part of a respiratory infection or possibly allergies. Rocky had a URI.
It's possible for them to injure the eye slightly (poked with a bit of hay,etc.) and scratch the cornea.
Either of those two possibilities needs a vet visit.
Rocky recovered from pink eye but has a blocked tear duct. She starts to look wet under the eye a day after her dust bath. She gets dust baths more frequently which seems to help. I also periodically clean the eye witha gauze pad and put in some saline if she'll hold still. There's nothing to be done to fix this, unfortunately.
HOWEVER - dust baths are a BAD idea if there's an infection or scratch. The dust will stick to the wet fur near the eye and could irritate the eye even further.
I would watch it until tomorrow and if it's still wet call your vet.

It went away, I watched it this past week and he's fine.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back