a little help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rara814

So I was considering breeding my chins. But then I see all the time so many chins who need foster homes, chins being put to sleep because of over population, and so forth. So, I am now wanting to get my chins fixed, and run a true rescue. I urnderstand how much time and money I will have to put into this. I already have a special needs chin whom I've adopted and since have helped him gain mobility, and all around a much happier chin. So, if I should rescue another, I would know the steps to take to get the proper treatment and care. I have 7 and have the room for a little more, however, I have taken all the steps I would need to learn all I can about chins, and breeding because as I said I wanted to breed, and I have had one kit in which I kept. Anyway, I want all of my chins and any that I rescue and rehome to have happy lives with me, and I am in fear that I wont give them enough attention because of having so many, I work from home so I am always here, and I always spend time with all my chins together and separate everyday. I see a lot of "rescues" not doing or caring for the chins the way they should either one because they just want to make the money rather than put any out to ensure good healthy chins, or 2 because they've taken on too many, and I don't want to see that, I want to help the chins, but I am not sure how exactly to start. I am not a new chin owner, I've done my homework on them way before I've even gotten any, and I really want to help any animal really, but I want to focus on chins. Any advice on anything about this would be helpful. And if this is something I should go forth with, or yea....thanks.

I see a lot of "rescues" not doing or caring for the chins the way they should either one because they just want to make the money rather than put any out to ensure good healthy chins

Not sure where you got the idea any rescue makes money, you have to earn and raise money to have rescues, its a bottomless money pit you just keep shoveling money in. And yes, you will not have time to give your pets the attention they had if you rescue, especially if the chins are true "rescues" and need medical and psychological care. I had 11 pets and did serious rehab of foster chins that needed extensive care, there was not alot of time left over for the pets and my animals own medical needs. I don't rescue or foster anymore, it was total burnout after 10 years of doing it, I just enjoy my pets and I am happier doing that.

I don’t think breeding should be a decision made on a whim. Same is true with starting up a rescue. Both, from what I can see, start out with the best of intentions, but you have to make compromises and sacrifices for both. I’d suspect that what you’re considering rescues “not doing or caring for the chins the way they should either one because they want to make the money rather than put any out to ensure good healthy chins, or two because they’ve taken on to many a …” is simply a consequence of those compromises. When you have 20, 30, 50, 100+ animals, you concern yourself with basic needs because that’s generally all you are able to meet, realistically. That’s true whether you’re breeding yourself or rescuing.

Rescue is hard, expensive, and emotionally draining work. If you want to keep your rescue small, are you prepared to sanctuary the chins that aren’t adoptable? Are you prepared to deal with dead and dying chins that you just can’t save? Can you get up and do it every day, over and over, and are you absolutely certain you can afford medical care on an ongoing basis? By “staying small,” that likely means there’s going to be a point in time when you have to turn some away, and if you’re not willing to do that things will spiral beyond your control if you aren’t very careful. Even if you are relatively well off now, unless you have an endless money supply, you’re going to be running in the red very soon and probably for a very long time. How are you going to go about adopting out? What will be your criterion for adoptions? What will your process be? You’ll find that it’s far easier to find animals to take in than to adopt back out, especially if you have strict adoption criteria. What would happen if you were full and a previous adopter wanted to or needed to return a chinchilla you adopted out? Are you going to be able to assure that you can always take back adoptees if it doesn’t work out, no matter how much time may have passed?

The more animals you take in, the more thin you spread yourself. If you take in more, your current animals will most certainly see changes in some ways. Whether that’s good or bad? I don’t know, it’s something only you can answer. In fairness, I think what you might want to do is take in more chins for yourself it that’s what you want to do, perhaps rescues, and work with them but plan to keep them as your pets. I really think that’s likely to be the only way you can maintain something resembling your current schedule and care routine and satisfy your desire to help and give a great home to more.

Last edited:
Dawn, when I said the "rescues" that are in it for money, I was saying they aren't really rescues at all, just saying they are running a rescue to feel better about them selves. I also was very clear that u don't want to get over run and have too many that u won't have time for. I think you completely misunderstood my post.

Paula, you brought very good points up. I don't have the heart to turn them away, and I have taken everything you said into consideration. Also, breeding and the rescue were absolutely nothing of a whim, that's why I've yet to do either. Like I said I do have a special chin now, he took a lot of time and special cage to get him whrre he is now, and when I think about that it melts me. Lol. That's why I wanted to do the rescue. He was simply not wanted because he was different. Again, everything you said I've taken into consideration, that's why it was such a tough decision. I want what is best for the chins all around. I would have very tough adoption standards. Lol.

you could take it a couple of chins at a time. When you have found forever homes for them then take it another couple of chins. That way you are rescuing some chins, getting them settled, cared for and then, hopefully find them forever homes and if you can't find homes then you know to stop

Something else to consider is fostering. If you can get hooked up with an established rescue you are better able to limit the ones you take in. I've been fostering for several years now and find it very satisfying. During that time I have even adopted a couple of my fosters because I fell in love with them and to be honest they had special needs or behavioral problems that made them less likely to be adopted. I have gotten in over my head a couple of times but having the rescue I work with available to bail me out has really helped. The rescue I work with pre-screens both the surrenders and the adopters so I usually just have to make room for the new ones and get the adoptees ready to leave. I do handle all the vet bills myself but if it is going to be a burden on me, I can always depend on the rescue to take them and get them cared for. I also supply my own cages, food, and other essentials. Basically, I get all the fun of having the animals here without much of the worry. The hardest part is letting them go when the right home comes along.

I think obcsed's suggestion of fostering is a great idea. It will give you a chance to really help the chins without having to dish out all the money of a rescue. It will also help you to see if you would really enjoy doing it.

Wow, I do think that is a great idea. I don't know why I never thought Bout that. I do also like Barbs idea also, but I think starting off with fostering is the best idea. Thank you all sooo much! Now to just find a chin rescue near me...

Dawn, when I said the "rescues" that are in it for money, I was saying they aren't really rescues at all, just saying they are running a rescue to feel better about them selves. I also was very clear that u don't want to get over run and have too many that u won't have time for. I think you completely misunderstood my post.

Paula, you brought very good points up. I don't have the heart to turn them away, and I have taken everything you said into consideration. Also, breeding and the rescue were absolutely nothing of a whim, that's why I've yet to do either. Like I said I do have a special chin now, he took a lot of time and special cage to get him whrre he is now, and when I think about that it melts me. Lol. That's why I wanted to do the rescue. He was simply not wanted because he was different. Again, everything you said I've taken into consideration, that's why it was such a tough decision. I want what is best for the chins all around. I would have very tough adoption standards. Lol.

I think the term you are looking for are hoarders or dealers, that would be more clear rather than rescue.

Back