A house divided.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3CsMommy

My babies Rock!
Western NY aka: Our Zoo. (We only lack a bird.)
I'll soon be moving out of the house I've shared with my (now ex) boyfriend of almost 3 years. During those 3 years, we got the chinchillas.

A few months ago, I started noticing what looked like fur-chewing on the younger of the two chins, and emailed the guy who owns his parents to see if any of his other animals had this problem. He said no and that even if they did, it wasn't anything to worry about.

This weekend, I found out that the oldest chin's 'breeder' lied. The mother has decimated one of her daughters' fur, though I can't tell whether it's stress-induced from their crappy environment or if she'd chew in the perfect chin home.

So, learning that, combined with the move, I'm tempted to split the boys up. I'm not sure it's best for them to remain living as a pair, especially if I'm not here to make sure that they're properly cared for (the Ex is a little forgetful). I'm also not sure I'd have the means to take care of both of them, especially if a fight broke out and I had to get to the E-vet in a hurry. Hour long cab rides are expensive.

I hate the thought of leaving behind both of my boys, but then again, I don't want to leave them in a bad environment if I don't have to.

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Could you just get another cage, or split the one you have now? I don't find that its very expensive to house/care for them. Of course vet bills are always something to keep in the back of your mind. Were you thinking of taking one of them? I think if you can take one, you can take both. Even if you have to get slightly smaller cages for them now, just up the time out they get. Then in the future, you can upgrade their cages if you wish.

I would have to agree that it would probably be best to not house them together if the fur chewing has gotten this bad. Perhaps he'd be happier in a cage on his own too??

If your ex-boyfriend tends to be "forgetful" then I would take both of them with me. It might stress them out even more if you separate them at this point and maybe when you're settled into your new place they too will settle down. I would not separate them just yet nor would I leave one behind. JMO.

I would definitely keep them together and take both with you. It's stressfull enough moving with them and I think separating them would just cause more stress. As stated already, give them time to settle in their new environment and once they're comfortable there, then you could try separating them.

So plans have changed somewhat and moving out is on the back burner. I'm still concerned about Cervantes' chewing, but I really don't want to separate them (though I could). They're in a QC mansion with a flying saucer and plenty of hides and toys. We have a QC condo in the basement from quarantine that I could set up just as easily, though I'd have to make shelves for it and dig up another wheel before moving one of them into it.

What else can be done when one chin chews fur and the other one doesn't? I've already got a boat load of toys in there (just got over $50 worth from PPbN), and they do have a wheel. They're on Mazuri pellets and Oxbow hay. Treats are generally of the oats or cereal variety and not too many. Play time is not as frequent as it could be, but a solid hour the 3-4 times a week that they get it. I also spend a while every night kneeling in front of their cage to talk to them/be groomed and cuddled. What else can I do to keep Cervantes from chewing his brother's booty bare?

(And I think the general consensus of taking both of them with me if/when I move out is the safest option. I do most of the upkeep and care taking for them anyway, the other half just supervises playtime and holds them still for hair ring checks. I'll just have to build up a vet fund and keep it full, and do a lot of negotiating when it comes to leasing. Thanks for the perspectives everyone; I was having a hard time getting one of my own together when I thought I'd be homeless by the end of the month.)

Well, just remember that fur chewing, although not pretty, is not bad for them. Some chins just have that bad habit. I would think the boys would prefer to stay together (with you!) than be separated. It is not the end of the world if Cervantes chews his brother, as long as it is not bothering them. I would rather see two happy bald chins than 2 lonely ones or not 2 not taken care of chins.

Latest posts

Back