A hello and a good bye.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manic's Girl_2

Hello hedgehog and chinchilla lovers, just dropping by here to introduce myself (again?). I used to post on this website under the name Manic's Girl but it seems that account has been removed. Granted, I didn't post very often. I was on the hedgehog owner side of this site but I did love lurking through the chinchilla topics as well-too cute to not look :p.

The reason for me coming back to post is slightly therapeutic I suppose; I recently had to have my hedgehog, Manic, euthanized as he was suffering from WHS. Sad story incoming, brace yourselves.

I purchased him from a local pet store at 9 weeks old. He wasn't a cuddler at first and loved to be let out of his cage to run around the room. As he got older though he was content to sit in my lap and snuggle with me in bed. In February of this year he developed a lump on his neck; which I had tested and the results showed it was benign. I was very relieved but the ordeal made me come to realize that he was getting old. It's embarrassing to say but I don't exactly remember when I did get him. I believe he was at least 7 years old though. The next few months of his life he was in good health as far as I could tell. One day last month however I noticed he was having trouble walking straight. He also was having trouble swallowing his food. I called up the vet and made an appointment for the next day. That day when I checked on him in the morning he couldn't even move his back legs. They were completely paralyzed. At the vets his colour started to fade and his body temperature was dropping. I knew I would have to give him up going in there but I never imagined it would feel so horrible. As I held onto him for the last time he began having trouble breathing and I knew it was time to stop before he suffered any longer.

I may or may not hang around the forums after this, I'll try to get some pictures up of him in this thread in a little while though. Thanks for reading and letting me share Manics memory with you all.

:flowers5:

Welcome back. Sorry for you loss. I do not know anything about hedge hogs. You might be back you just never know.

Welcome back. I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope time will help heal your heart. I hope you'll stick around, and share in the other memories people have and perhaps one day open your heart to a new furry or quilled friend.

Hi and we're happy to have you back, although the reason why is so sad. I'm so sorry you lost your dear friend. They are never with us long enough.

It is always heartbreaking when they go. But what a grand old age he reached! Welcome (back) to the group!

I am so sorry for the loss of your Manic. I hope it has helped you to share your loss with us. Please continue if you would like to do so. Someone is always listening.

Back