A hedgie of my very own!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked him up yesterday. His name is Dillinger, but we are calling him Dill for short. It's my very first hedgie, I have wanted one since I was a little girl!
Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 45
He is very cute- congrats on becoming a new hedgie mom! Just out of curiosity what type of food and bedding are you using?

He was being fed a blend of Sunseed, Vitakraft, and the breeder's own personal blend. I'm in the process of transitioning him over to a mix of Blue Indoor Health and Innova Low Fat, because those are the ones that I saw most people using on here.

At the current moment, his bedding situation is a layer of aspen with a carpet of old t-shirt remnants on top. But, I am going to the craft store today to go get some fun fleeces to lay across the bottom, as per the recommendations of most people on here. Though, does anyone have any opinions on the reptile carpets that one can get to lay on the cage bottom instead of fleece? Just curious.

Glad you're transitioning him over to some more healthy food!

About his bedding... the only thing I've seen people use as reptile carpets is this astroturf type thing... If that's what you're talking about, it might be a little rough on those cute pink pudgy hedgie feet.

The other things you'll want to consider are:
- How wash-able is it? Let's say hedgie made messies on it every day or every other day... will it stand up to the washing? Or hedgie got mites... can you wash and dry using hot water and heat in the dryer?
- How well it show problems with hedgie bodily fluids. Yeah, I know, "ick." But since these little fellas are prey animals, they hide a lot of their illnesses & injuries. You want a bedding that will show that their pee isn't a nice yellow or that their poo has turned green-ish or that they have a cut on their foot. A nice, light colored cage liner helps a lot in identifying illnesses and injuries.

The repti-carpet is very sturdy and stands up really well to multiple washes. It's why i use it for my reptiles, instead of doing sand or dirt. It's really not all that rough either, if you get the right company's, it's more or less the same consistency as fleece. I got a light brown one, but just to be safe I also got some fleeces to lay across the carpet too. Hope he likes Batman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer!

You'll have to keep us posted on how the repti-carpet works out.

Batman and Rudolph sound cute ;)

I will, of course. :) I will also hopefully get some more photos of his cage when I get the liners done. Those will be posted in the cage thread.

Latest posts

Back