A Few Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyv3737

<---House beaver.
How long is too long for playtime? Usually Shelly is out for 1 - 2 hours. Today however I let her out for three. When I put her back in her cage she barked at me and threw poop in my direction. :neener:

Next question. I leave the ramp to her cage open during playtime. Should I close it or cover the ramp when she is out? I'm a bit worried that her feet are going to fall through the wires. I've seen her sit on it from time to time. I plan on getting her a FN but it is not in the budget right now.

Thanks for your help.

Not really an answer for you but I didn't know play time could be that long. I was kind of bummed when I read 1/2hr for play time but I'm assuming it depends on room temp humidity play room flooring etc etc.
Sorry didnt mean to add questions but didnt want to start new post for all to answer twice.

i dont really see how it could be to long? i mean as long as you are paying attention that she isnt getting into anything she isnt suppose to ... its not like they RUN the sholw time they are out.. they explore for a little while, then find i nice corner and sleep for a bit then explore then sleep.. i dont see a problem with it

I wouldn't leave the ramp out. A chin can easily break a leg in an open bar ramp.:)

Thanks guys!! I let her out when I get home from work. She is out for so long because I feel bad that she was in her cage all day long. Yes I know she is sleeping and out care less. What can I say her mommy is a weirdo. :wink2:

As for the ramp I will leave it closed from now on I want her as happy, safe, and healthy as possible.

They can be out for as long as you/they want, there is no rule. I have a wooden ramp I made and I set that up so my chinnies can go in and out as they please but I almost always have to shoo them back to their cages because I am done before them.

There is no time rule for play as long as they are supervised. If you see a problem like them getting lethargic after play or they are getting too hot from running around then it needs to be shortened.
Get rid of the wire ramps...very dangerous to chinchillas

Shelly will explore for about an hour and go back into her cage. She either eats or drinks water. That is why I've always left her door open. Sometime she comes back out, other times she falls asleep. If she falls asleep then I will close her door. If not she is free to roam again.

Jean I will be heading to Home Depot today to make her a ramp.

My oldest girl Jackie doesn't like to be out long these days. She is roughly 13 years old, so she comes out, gets her bath, runs around a bit, then goes back into her house. I can tell when she has had enough as her ears go beat red. She is a homo beige chin. Her daughter Sugar isn't much of a player either. She likes being with her mom, so she usually goes back in on her own with Jackie. Now Speedy, Jackie's son will stay out all night and day if you let him. He loves to explore and run ragged in the chin room.

My chinchilla when its done will go back into his cage and rest so i think there isn't really a maximum, but an hour or 2 is fine.

Back