A few questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

Is there any harm in taking away a chinchilla's pellets for a day or two? There would still be unlimited hay available.

Is it possible to over due probiotics?
Is there any time that probiotics would be a bad thing to give a chin?

Pellets should be available at all times, since this is the chinchilla's primary source of food. The hay is secondary, but also very important to have available at all times.

You can take away a chin's pellets for a day or two, but this is usually only done if a chin has a wetter/softer poop than usual. A hay only diet means the chin eats a lot more fibre.

Ummm I don't think you can "overdo" probiotics, although if a chin is perfectly healthy, then you are probably wasting your money by buying them.

I can't imagine an instance where probiotics would be bad for a chin.... maybe someone else can chime in???

Im not sure on overdoing probiotics. I know it's possible to overdose on vitamins for humans- most just take a LOT. In humans it's more likely for there to be issues with fat soluble stuff than water soluble stuff because we drink enough that excess water solubles leave fairly quickly- I don't know how that works with chins since they drink so much less. but probiotics arent just chemicals, they're good bacteria right? I would think adding too many of any bacteria could throw off the system at the very least.

Since so few bacteria actually live to make it to the cecum, its not really possible to get to many.

Back