a few questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutherford

i peer into your soul
hi all!

so my girlfriend have been considering getting a hedgehog as a pet for quite some time now. she grew up handling animals, so i have no doubt she will be great with a hedgehog. i was reading up on some sites, and in some ways, hedgehogs are very similar to chinchillas! well, the nocturnal aspect of their lifestyles. my girlfriend prefer warmer temperatures, so i think it's no problem for her to keep her room to above 75 degrees at all times.

anyway, i have a few questions about what type of things to get for a hedgehog. i've been looking at websites, and generally, a hedgehog is about $100. what kind of cage does it require? quality cage company has this: http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_194_202&products_id=505 listed as a cage for a hedgehog. is that what you have for yours?

do hedgehogs require shelves for climbing, or are they mostly a one-leveled type of animal?

what types of toys do they like to play with? hanging toys made out of woods? are they safe with plastics? what type of exercising wheel should i buy for the hedgehog?

what type of foods do they eat?

aspen shavings considered okay for them as bedding? i read somewhere that they will use a litter box if provided with one... is that true?

do hedgehogs require playtime?

how does it take baths?

sorry for the questions... i just want to make sure i'm completely knowledgeable about a hedgehog before i consider getting one for my girlfriend.

thanks for all your help!

If the legality issue is not an issue, meaning she lives in a state where hedgehogs are legal , check out hedgehogcentral.com for good information on hedgehog housing, food, vet care, etc. With that many questions, it's probably better to turn you over to a reputable resource rather than have various owners list their preferences and opinions.

But remember: If your gf lives in CA, hedgehogs are NOT LEGAL. If she is found to have a hedgehog through any course of events, the hedgehog will be euthanized. It is not fair to a hedgehog to risk its life like that.

hi all!

anyway, i have a few questions about what type of things to get for a hedgehog. i've been looking at websites, and generally, a hedgehog is about $100. what kind of cage does it require? quality cage company has this: http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_194_202&products_id=505 listed as a cage for a hedgehog. is that what you have for yours?

QCC has so many cages on their site that I feel are too small. The one you listed is much too short. It lists at 11". You will need to find one that will accommodate an exercise wheel. An appropriate wheel should be about 12" diameter, by the time you add base and a couple of additional inches in clearance you need at least 16-18" in height, depending on the wheel.

do hedgehogs require shelves for climbing, or are they mostly a one-leveled type of animal?
They are mostly a one-level animal. Many will not use multiple levels, and if you do add levels the ramps and level need to be fully enclosed to prevent falls.

what types of toys do they like to play with? hanging toys made out of woods? are they safe with plastics? what type of exercising wheel should i buy for the hedgehog?
Toys will depend on the hedgehog. These little guys vary greatly in personality, and what one likes another won't. The biggest thing you need is an exercise wheel. A wheel should be 12" and solid surfaced, no wire mesh wheels. Hedgehogs are not gnawers since they are not rodents, so plastic items are ok, but you do need to watch for any parts that may come off as hedgehogs do pick up items and carry them around sometimes.

what type of foods do they eat?
Check out the diet section. They are omnivorous with a large part of their diet in the wild consisting of insects. They should be fed a high quality, low fat cat kibble, supplemented with insects, fresh fruits & cooked vegetables.

aspen shavings considered okay for them as bedding? i read somewhere that they will use a litter box if provided with one... is that true?
I dislike all substrate beddings and consider all wood beddings to be highly inappropriate. Wood shavings can harbor mites and can cause splinters to get stuck in very sensitive areas. If you must go with a substrate go for carefresh ultra. However, the preferred bedding is to use cloth liners (fleece). Some hedgehogs will litter box train, but not all. Even those that will use a litter box will go to the bathroom on their exercise wheel. So expect to clean a poop smeared wheel daily.

Read through the FAQs and continue to do research. I have a lot of information that I have been recently updating also on my website that you may find helpful www.mihog.org.

Latest posts

Back