A few questions from a potential future owner....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Linds

I've been wanting/reseearching chinchillas for about a year now, and I just found out my boyfriend might be buying me one for my upcoming birthday! I've done quite a bit of research I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions in the upcoming month, so you'll be hearing quite a lot from me :]

My first concern is about the number of chins I should have. I'm free most evenings, I work until 7-9 two nights a week, and have to be back at work at 7 the next morning. I think it'd be better for the chin if I had two, so they can keep each other company on these two nights where my time with them would be limited. Having never owned chins before, do you think it would be too much for me to get two at the same time?

My other immediate concern is where to put their cage. There's a large, walk-in closet directly across the hall from my bedroom that I think would be perfect for my future babies: it's removed from daytime noise, situated where I can keep an eye on them while they're in their cage, away from windows, and since the closet will soon be empty it'll be easy to make it as chinchilla-safe as possible. However, it doesn't have an AC vent. We keep the apartment around 70 and even with the door closed, it stays cool in there. In the next day or two I'm gonna buy a thermometer and hang out in there so I know exactly how cool it is in there, but do you think it would a good idea for me to put a fan or two in there just in case [obviously placed so that there won't be a direct breeze on the cage]? I'm also worried about my chins possibly trying to eat fuzz from the carpet floors. Is that a legitimate concern, and do you guys think I should find something more chinchilla-friendly with which I can cover the carpet? And since I know food, poop, and dust are all bound to end up on the floor outside the cage, I've been trying to figure out how to vacuum the area without disturbing the chins. How exactly do you guys keep the floor around your cages clean without causing them undue stress?

Sorry about all the questions, but I really want to make sure I have absolutely everything worked out well before I bring them home :]

By "walk-in" closet, how big is it?
I think I'd close the door when checking with the thermometer - make sure!
A good cage won't let them escape to chew the rug, but if you rent, you could put plywood both on the carpet, and behind the cage, as chins will chew drywall if they can reach it! Then sweep with a broom = no stress.
With plywood on the floor, and wheels on a cage, it would be very easy to do monthly cleaning, as long as the cage fits through the doorway easily.
I was able to adjust the air vents to keep my "chin room" cooler than the rest of the house - restrict the ones closest to the thermostat and open the ones in the adjoining room - might take awhile, to get right, but worth it! Reverse in winter to keep it cooler!
Hope this helped, welcome aboard, and good luck with your "birthday presents!" Oh - Happy Birthday, too!

It's a pretty huge L-shaped closet, big enough that my best friend actually used it as a bedroom for a while! The end where I was planning to put the cage is roughly 5' wide and at least 6' long, and the other end is about 3'x5'.
And thank you so much for all your ideas! Both will be huge helps :]

Two same-sex chins are great, then they have someone to play with during the night, and cuddle with during the day. But you need to have a backup cage, because even bonded chins can suddenly decide to hate each other and have to be separated.

I'd really be concerned about air flow in the closet--definitely check the temperature though. Fans aren't going to help, because chins don't sweat and a fan will not lower their body temperature. You can aways look into a "free standing" air conditioner for the little room; its a type that doesn't have to be placed in a window and may be a good option here.

As far as something to put under the cage--the thick plastic office chair mats work great, too. The ones that go under office chairs to protect the carpet.

Cleaning cages...the vacuums don't usually bother the chins. When they're sleeping during the day, they may pop their head up to see what's going on, but go right back to sleep. Unless of course they want to play or beg for a treat! :) But cleaning in there during the day presents no problems--I even use the shop vac around them, and it doesn't faze them a bit.

I started out with just one chinchilla and now have 2 but if you have the time and money two same sex chinchillas are great, but you should be prepared to separate them in case they don't get along. But, having just one is ok and as long as you have plenty of toys and chew toys for your chin he/she should be just fine. Definitely check the temperature of the room before putting yours chins in there. My chins are on carpet and I use the Swiffer carpet flick for everyday quick cleaning and on the weekends I use a shop vac. The Swiffer is silent so it doesn't disturb them (but it only works on carpet) and whenever is use the shop vac so usually just come over to beg for a treat and go right back to sleep. Best of luck with your chin if you get one for your birthday :)

Keeo in mind chinchillas need some natural light and fresh air. can your closet provide that?

I've only got one chin and he's as happy as could be. We play with him every night for an hour or more, and aside from a few nights where he might start barking for us to come play with him, he hasn't really ever seemed "lonely" for another chin. I don't see anything wrong with having just one at all!

Ours just sniffs around on the carpet and doesn't chew it, but all chins are different. The drywall thing is a problem, though. He also doesn't mind the vacuum at all...in fact, he'll chase the nozzle around and I've had to stop him a few times from getting his little face sucked up into the tube! He's not allowed to be out when we vacuum anymore for this reason :p

Turns out, from what I've seen once chins are situated in their home with their people, they're pretty hard to stress out with environmental things like vacuums, tv's, loud music etc. They're pretty easygoing little guys. Just don't try and take a treat away :p

If you can get an already bonded pair, I'd do it (with a back up cage of course, as was suggested upthread). We introduced our guys over a 3 month period almost 2 years ago now, but I think it would have been easier to start with 2 instead of the back and forth, in and out of an introduction down the line. Once they both started living in the big cage, the work was really no different than when we had only one, just slightly *more* hay and poo and pellet remains left on the floor, and a lot more getting groomed and being stood on and having my ears sniffed (which tickles like you cannot believe).

You might check with a chinchilla rescue near you to see if they have any already paired chins that need a home. Having a rescue operator that you can email/call with questions as you start out is a very valuable resource too.

I've been comparing costs of what I'd want/need against my boyfriend's budget plus the maximum I can afford to part with at this time, and the only way I'm getting chins is if I compromise on the number of chins or the quality of the cage and accessories I get them. Since I don't believe in settling when it comes to pets, I'm gonna wait until I'm more financially secure to get a pair, which sucks but I feel like is definitely the responsible thing to do
And at least that gives me plenty of time to learn absolutely everything I can about them before I get them :]

Thank you for thinking of the animals first. :) I know it's rough to have to wait, but I think you'll be much happier with the result if you save up for the best possible start for your chin kids. In the mean time, though, shop around for prices, etc. You might have luck getting a sale on a Ferret Nation cage, or find an inexpensive shop vac at a garage sale and be able to build up your pet needs slowly over time. Also, the forum is a great way to find people near you who sell supplies reasonably or who are willing to split shipping on orders of pellets and toys. *hug*

Back