A few more questions about introducing chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmor1031

Mikey is a vanilla bean!
Hi, I have a few more questions about introducing male chinchillas :))

1) Can they potentially be more likely to get along if they are both neutered, or does neutering a male chin do nothing to his attitude of other chins?

2)I read about cutting their whiskers on another thread here and I was wondering how long it takes for the whiskers to grow back and how safe it really is to cut them?

3) Also, since Mikey has been with a female chinchilla, even though I no longer own her or any of the supplies/toys that she used, can that potentially make him more aggressive to another male chin?

Or

4) Would it possibly be better for me to get another female and get Mikey neutered. I would have to do a lot of research first in finding a highly qualified vet to neuter him before I would even consider this... Do males tend to get along better with females than other males? I have read so many books and articles about chinchillas but I wanted to ask you guys on here who have had personal experience with chins...

I would appreciate any help with these questions, as I want to do as much research as I possibly can before I decide to bring another chinchilla into my home.
:thumbsup:

Hi, I have a few more questions about introducing male chinchillas :))

1) Can they potentially be more likely to get along if they are both neutered, or does neutering a male chin do nothing to his attitude of other chins?
I do not recommend neutering. Any surgery on chins is risky plus neutering a chin may not help with aggresive behavior.

2)I read about cutting their whiskers on another thread here and I was wondering how long it takes for the whiskers to grow back and how safe it really is to cut them?
Trimming whiskers is safe. It's just like trimming your hair. The whiskers grow back in a few months. I have trimmed whiskers and it really helped with aggresive behavior.

3) Also, since Mikey has been with a female chinchilla, even though I no longer own her or any of the supplies/toys that she used, can that potentially make him more aggressive to another male chin?
I would remove her toys on the chance it may cause a problem.

Or

4) Would it possibly be better for me to get another female and get Mikey neutered. I would have to do a lot of research first in finding a highly qualified vet to neuter him before I would even consider this... Do males tend to get along better with females than other males? I have read so many books and articles about chinchillas but I wanted to ask you guys on here who have had personal experience with chins...
I don't recommend getting a female and neutering Mikey. How chins get along with each other is chin dependent not sex dependent in my opinion.

I would appreciate any help with these questions, as I want to do as much research as I possibly can before I decide to bring another chinchilla into my home.
:thumbsup:

Best of luck in finding a companion for Mikey.

Back