A Chinchilla's Winter Schedule?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spodumena

I was wondering if it's typical for chinchillas to sleep more often during the winter months, or when there are less sunlight hours in the day?

I've only had my chins for about 3 months now, so I'm trying to figure out if a) they have just really settled in more, or b) the short days and cold, dreary weather is causing them to sleep more often [the house has maintained its temperature though].

When we first got them they were more active during the day and their brief periods of activity were longer than they are now. They seem perfectly healthy: they get up every few hours to pee and have a snack, but then it's a very decisive jump back up to cuddle/sleep with the brother.

I'm also wondering if because there are two of them, and they know they can romp around their cage at night together without my prying eyes, they are slightly less concerned with getting human attention during the day. They both seem to prefer chin-company to human company, which I can understand. I know they're super active at night because I wake up to a mess and loads of poo, but I sometimes get (most likely irrationally) worried at how little they move around during the day.

Is it usual for chins to sleep more in the autumn/winter months? And is it normal for a pair of bonded chins to keep to their own schedule more so than that of their human-companions?

They are probably just settling in and getting comfortable in their environment. Our chinchillas are in the living room, so I notice they are usually up and active from about 5:30 a.m. to about 8:00 a.m. and then again around 8:30 p.m. until long after I'm asleep. The time change affects their schedule a bit, otherwise they are usually asleep most of the day.

Thanks for the reply, Chinmama! You're right -- the time-change has probably affected their schedule a little bit too. It's good to read about other people's experiences.

I only have 1 chinchilla, and I've noticed that he's suddenly been sleeping all throughout the day, and eating at night. It used to be that i would feed him in the morning, and he'd IMMEDIATELY eat all his hay and pellets. Perhaps it is the weather! I wouldn't be concerned though, just as long as they ARE eating.

Thanks, Chinchillins! I feel like their play/sleep routines also change depending on how much excitement they have the day before. If they get a new toy and stay up all night destroying it then I don't see much of them the following day, until the late, late evening. I think that combined with the weather/time shift probably makes a difference, but it's always good to hear others' experiences!

Latest posts

Back