A bit worried

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leyyya

Its barely been two days with my new 3 month old chinchilla.
And I know he still has some time to get used to his new surroundings and myself,

but he seems to be peeing in his hay feeder and ruining his hay for the day.
And when I so much as put my finger close to the cage so he can recognize my scent, he'll smell me for a few seconds and then he'll proceed to nibble and then full on bite me.
When I've clean his cage I talk to him. Praise him. Yet if my hands grace him, he'll immediately run away from me.

I feel he is scared but at the same time he wants me to let him out but he has no trust with me.

Am I over thinking it and should just give it more time?.

He needs more time. I've have my boys for months and they still run away from me more often than not, although now they let me give them some chin rubbins when the mood strikes them.

What are you using as a hay holder? Maybe you could try one that mounts outside of the cage so that he can't get inside and pee on it? Also, you could try putting the hay in different places, I know one of my guys is pretty sensitive about where his food is and will consume more hay if it's in one spot vs another.

Edit: This site has some great information on how to build a bond with your new chin http://owningchinchillas.webs.com/bringing-your-chin-home

Peeing in hay is common. You might try moving the holder to another spot in his cage but he may still pee in it. Since he seems to like peeing in a container you might try putting a small glass or other chin proof container in a corner of his cage. Put some dirty shavings in it to encourage him to pee.

When he bites tell him not to loudly. Trust takes time with chins. Some take longer than others. Put your whole hand in his cage and let him explore it. Don't try to touch him. Let him come to you.

I really don't use shavings for bedding, since he sleeps in his hammock for the most part of the day, but it actually sounds like a good idea. That way he won't ruin his hay while being at it. I guess he just misses how things were with his mom. He doesn't bite as much as he used to now, still occasionally. I read on another thread to blow on his face, and i do that when he try's biting me again. But other than that he seems to like play time. Running around being a curious little chin.

Latest posts

Back