A bit worried about my Chinchilla,s behaviour

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah2000

Ok so i have 2 males or at least that is what i was told.

The last 2 days one of my chinchilla's is forever trying to hump (not sure of the correct wording for all this) my other chinchilla. I guessed this was some kind of dominance thing a bit like with dogs, but now im not so sure.

Tonight he is like a chinchilla possessed, as he is constantly on my other chin and a running around like a total loon, and now after he has been humping my other chinchilla he has a massive erection and is putting it in his mouth and cleaning it, is this a normal thing to do with 2 males??

I bought the chinchillas from a reputable pet store. He is also particularly vocal tonight.

First thing I would check is the sexes. One might be female and in heat. That would explain the amorous attention. Check on line for good pictures of chin genitals so you will be able to tell them apart. It is very common for chins to be mis-sexed. If one is female, separate them immediately and start counting 113 days for the babies.

It all looks about right for a male, they have got a gap like they should. I really hope i am right. They are only young!!!

Back