6 chins, each on different Pellets

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I was just wondering if Mazuri food was as good at Oxbow? I know both types are recommended, but wasn't sure if one type was better. Mira and the kits are on Mazuri, while my two boys Terrance and Phillip are on Oxbow. I was debating switching Terrance and Phillip to Mazuri. It would be cheaper to feed all of the chins the same diet. I get 25 pounds of Mazuri for what I pay for 10 pounds of Oxbow.

JMHO but Mazuri is crap. I don't recommend it to anyone. My chins didn't maintain weight very well on it and one chin got diarrhea so bad that nothing BUT a pellet change fixed it. Likewise, I'm not the only one with the loose stool issue. A LOT of people have it with SOME of their chins on Mazuri.

Keep in mind though, for mother and kits you won't want to switch mother till the kits are weaned and the kits...I wouldn't switch them for a bit after weaning.

I fed my chin mazuri and had no issues at all with it. The only reason I switched to Oxbow is that my local store stopped carrying the mazuri and carried oxbow instead. If you have never had any issues with mazuri, I wouldn't believe you would have to stop feeding it. You could try doing a slow switch and see how the boys react to the new food. If they had any future soft stool issues, then you know that oxbow works for you already.

Einstein has always been fed the Mazuri and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. He has never had any loose stool and is a very healthy little guy. I personally think you should just stick with what seems to be working for each individual chin. If you do decide to switch, just make sure you do it slowly over a period of at least 7-10 days to reduce GI upset.

I had fed my chin mazuri for 3 months and she did fine with a cold switch....the only reason I switched to oxbox was the store stopped selling it up here, and the other store would only special order me the HUGE bag which was not good for me since I only have one chin

Regardless of what you switch to I would do a slow transition. Even with a slow transition one of my chins didn't do well on his new feed. I now have 4 chins on 3 different types of pellets. I just did the math this weekend, and for my chins who are on Tradition or Nutrena it only costs me about $3/month per animal to feed them pellets. While it's a pain to buy multiple feeds its not a big drain on my pocket book. They're all healthy so I can't complain.

Sorry but I don't consider Mazuri crap. Have been using it for 13 years and NEVER had a problem with it. I also have had good weights with it.

Hence the "JMHO" ;) it's my opinion, my experience with it (and the experience of others) and I now never recommend it to anyone. I've heard many MANY more complaints about Mazuri than any other chin approved feed. Period. So if I were to recommend a switch it would NOT be to Mazuri. Why recommend switching to a feed with a very high complaint status?

Again, this is my experience and the experience of others (there are threads on this forum) and MY opinion. If you really insist on switching for your own personal reasons, then do it slowly as mentioned by everyone.

I used to feed Mazuri and all my chins did fine on it...I only switched because I can get Nutrena in 50lbs bulk and it's just more economical. If Mazuri is that much cheaper I would definitely try putting all the chins on it, assuming they all do fine with it of course. That way you have more money to spend on the fun stuff; it's no fun to pay that much when you don't have to! And if they don't do well with the Mazuri, then I would consider switching all 6 chins to a cheaper brand than Oxbow.

Oh my God, I just realized that your boys names are Terrence and Phillip and I busted out laughing!! And I've been feeding Mikey Mazuri for about 2 years no problems, recently he's been eating oxbow because like most people on here, the store I buy food from was out of mazuri.

And the new chin I just got is on mazuri, and I just ordered like 10 lbs of it...

I, too, had issues with Mazuri giving a few of my chins soft poops. One of my boys got it quite a bit so I decided with the fight it was to get the food from the mill and them getting soft poop, it was easier to switch. I dont recall anyone having soft pops since.

Latest posts

Back