4H groups

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylelemler

So I was wondering who is involved with chinchilla 4H groups? How do you get them started in your county and once started how involved must one be to keep it going strong or interesting for the kids involved? What do these groups do since we all know or should know that taking a chinchilla to the fair is a REALLY bad idea? Thank you and I look forward to seeing your posts!!!!!

Maybe try asking at your local Tractor Supply...the cashier there gave my son a 4H pin one day but I didn't pursue looking into it yet because he is only 4...it is something I think would be a ton of fun once he is a little older though!

:)

I was in 4H for awhile, but there wasn't really anything I could do with the chins in it, since the fairs are always so hot and there's a lot of other species there. I am now in FFA at my high school, and I was able to bring a few of my chins to our "Farm City Day" event, of which 3rd graders from surrounding area schools came to pet and handle the animals. The kids really enjoyed being able to pet the chinchillas, and a few got to even handle them with my supervision. Other than that, there haven't really been any events/activities that the chins can be involved/a part of.

There's not anything that I know of started here for chin in the 4H. But I know some counties have it. And if there is an interest in our area for it maybe I can help start a chinchilla 4H club to help promote young interest. There was FFA in my school as well there was even a day or two when the farm boys drove in there BIG tractors. But I think the fairs are the way I would want to try and get involved. And apparently there may be others interested in it as well so if there was someone out there with some info, it might be helpful to all of us that are thinking about it if you would post.

Well here's an update. I received some very nice workbooks from Maxine/Empress (thank you again). Then upon receiving those I called our local 4H organizer. Basically they have a generic group for any small caged animal: chinchillas, hampsters, birds, snakes. And there aren't many involved in it, around 12 or so total and if any of them have chinchillas, don't really know at this point. They didn't seem interested in starting up a chinchilla specific group but said I could come in and do a workshop (show and tell) to the group about chinchillas. Hummm?

However I am thinking about contacting the next closest county 4H which is the largest county fair in the state and see what they tell me. But just not as convenient as the closer one.

Back