3 Male chins 1 being aggressive

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

hi all, i have 3 male chins they have lived together for ever but i have had them for just over 1 year (they are no older than 2) they have got on fine together in a large 2 tier cage until recently when the most dominant (harry) has attacked the second most dominant (borris) causing a small injury and alot of fur loss (not bald but less fur,and a slight greying of the colour) now whenever harry goes near borris, borris will either grunt loudly or take off and run away! i have split them up 1 in the top tier and the other in the bottom swapping the 3rd chin (winny) between the 2 as he gets along with both the other 2 snuggling and nibbling both and play chasing and tail wagging with both at play time. Some advice would b grate as i would realy like them to all b 2gether because before this they used to love playing and snuggling together if i can get them 2 make up i would be pleased but im afriad the longer apart the less chance of them being friends again, please help thanks.
(chins not castrated - Neutered)

Sometimes this happens with chinchillas and there is nothing that can be done other than to separate the chins and have the more aggressive chin live alone. You say they have been together forever but you've only had them one year--how old are all the chins? Did you get them together or individually?

Really the best thing you can do is keep the two together that do not fight and keep the aggressive chin separate. Perhaps you can allow them all together for playtime from time to time--but once chins get aggressive there is often no way to fix it.

I've never had luck with more than 2 male chins getting along. They are less likely to stay friends than females. I would just separate the aggressive one out and keep him as a single.

Since there has been an injury, I would leave the aggressive one caged separately. If you try to put them back together chances are that they will fight again and it could be much worse.

It's kinda like putting a whole wack of men on steroids in one room eventually somebody's gonna fight. Um fortunately u need either a bigger cage so they see less of each othe or separate them. My male and female were like that at first. Now they aren't because he got her prego but they are very temperamental creatures when they want to be left alone they let the others know that's why u might need a bigger cage for 3 of them! Mine have their own bedroom lol

thanks for quik response guys the cage is plenty big enuf for three i got them together only wanted 2 but the pet shop wudnt let me split the 3 as they were bonded. like i say they have got along fine until about a week ago. i have kept the agressive 1 apart from the others but im afraid he will get lonly from winny the 3rd neutral chin because both chins enjoy the company of him even tho they have fell out. Iv had them over a year (feb) and they were aprox 6months old when i got them so i would say they are no older than 2 years with abit of leeway. i let them play together as they do have there own room to play in so they can stay out of the way of each other if they want but i have noticed that when harry (agressive) starts to play with winny (neutral) as in chases him n both waging tails (not being agressive) borris does respond and trys to join in (also wagging his tail) but gets scared and backs off. Borris will also play with winny with out any trouble but will not let harry get anywhere near him to even try n play. im sure that if boris trusted harry again he wudnt hurt him but i don't want to leave em together unsupervised because i dont want them to hurt (or kill) each other.
Sorry if that was confusing and for the essay jus want advice.

Often once chinchillas fight like that and need to be separated they will never be able to live together again.

Back