2nd Day of Ownership (Please Help!)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyckoTheChinchilla

Well this is the second day I've had my chinchilla Nycko. He was sitting against the side of the cage as my cat was laying on my bed. The cat stuck her paw in the cage but the chinchilla instantly got away. The cat didnt have her claws out when he stuck her paw in, and she didnt even hit it. That happened yesterday. Nycko has been doing his usual thing jumping around. He's still a little jumpy when you touch him, but he's getting used to me faster than I thought he would. He does occasionally hide behind his little dome to get away from us, but he's been acting normal.

I was petting him around his tail and I felt his hair, which was kind of stiffened. I pushe on the skin there but I didn't feel any cuts. He kind of snorted then started barking. I soothed him by making little shhh sounds while petting him.

Another thing is he will just be sitting there and start barking. Is something wrong there? I gave him his pellets with a very tiny pinch of old fashioned oats and he's been calmer. Right now he's exploring his cage again.
So back to the first question, do you think he's fine? I don't feel a cut, but he starts barking. And the other question, he starts barking randomly?

First off, pls keep the cat AWAY from the chin, you're probably scaring the crap out of the chin, and the cat could kill your chin too, so it's not very wise to keep the chin where the cat can get to.
The barking is otherwise known as warning calls, chins do that sometimes randomly, having a nightmare or when they feel threatened or scared by something.
Your chin has just been home for 2days, still trying to get used to the surroundings, smell etc..I'd say its normal u might hear a bark here and there, just give him some time to settle in, make sure he's feeding and pooping properly, activity level is normal, chins should be very curious and exploring new surroundings.
Just one more time, pls take the cat out of the chin rm, you are adding more stress to the chin, imagine if you were in a cage in new surroundings, and there's a lion roaming outside your cage, randomly sticking a paw inside, you didn't get hurt cause u ran away, but you would not feel at ease right? You'd have to be on guard 24/7, u won't know when the lion will stick her paw in again, you know what I mean?

The cat should not have access to the chinchilla cage (reach it, be able to poke the chin, etc.). Even the tiniest scratch from a cat claw can cause major damage to a chin.

Barking: I agree with what's been said. New chins often bark a decent amount when they come home because there are so many new noises for them to adjust to and their big radar dish ears pick up sounds we can't hear. Also, if you just brought your chin home, it would be a good idea to let him be for a while. 'Ignore' him, but don't try to pet him or interact with him. Just let him settle in and start to feel safe. Then work on bonding ;)

You've only had him for two days. Chins take time to settle in. For some it happens quickly, for others it can take a long time. Spend time with him. Talk to him and let him come to you. He's barking because he is scared. He's in a new environment and there is a predator sitting next to his cage.

About the cat. You MUST keep the cat away from your chin. Your cat should NEVER have access to the cat. It takes once second for interaction to become fatal.

Remember, chins are prey animals and cats are predators.

Thank You for the replies. Ever since the accident when my cat stuck her paw in I've kept the cat at a great distance. My dog too, because she gets a little anxious with the chin and the chin gets a little jumpy.

In my opinion all animals (especially dogs and cats) should be kept away and out of your chinchilla's area. They are prey animals and take time to adapt to their environment. It's only been 2 days. You should be letting your chinchilla get used to their environment and new home. I usually leave my chinchillas alone for the first week (I'll still read and talk on the phone near them though, but no physical interaction) and then after that I take things slowly so they can get used to me. Some chinchillas take more time than others to warm up to their owners. It just all depends on their own individual personality.

Yeah, I only have two but in each case I left them alone in a room and only came in to check on them and feed them for the first week. Neither of them ate or drank a whole lot because of the stress of moving. And having a kitty around can't help that stress.

Good luck with you new little guy.

Just remember that chins are prey to many animals and cats especialy are predators.

They are great little creatures with really big personalities once you are able to bond with them. It takes time and patience.

He may not want you touching his tail because he really doesn't know you yet. My little girl wouldn't let you touch her tail when we first got her.

I agee on letting him come to you. A great way to have him get to know you is to just rest your hand and let him come to you. Sniffing and "nibbling" are the way they get to know you and your scent.

Good Luck and let us know how you are making out.

Back