2 Week Rollercoaster - At wits end

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astryea

This is a long story, but I very generally summed it up at the bottom for those not willing to read the whole thing. Blitz has also been treated by a few different vets, but instead of names I'll just number them.

This all started on the evening of Tuesday, November 30th. I noticed Blitz had not been eating much that day nor was there many poops as well. I also noticed him pawing at his mouth quite a bit and wondered if he had developed another tooth infection as he had the previous year. I started him on Cisapride, Simethicone and hand fed him some CC for the night. The next morning I made an appointment with his fairly new vet (just moved to Maryland from NJ in October) for that afternoon.

Vet #1 did an X-ray which showed some gas and that his stomach had food that wasn't passing through. Blitz received Sub-q fluids and was prescribed Benebac, Baytril and Metoclopramide in addition to the Cisapride I already started. I asked about the pawing at the mouth and getting some pain meds, I don't remember the exact response but I guess it wasn't a huge concern because I left without any.

Late that night I freaked when Blitz seemed to be getting worse. He was very lethargic, dragging his stomach and resisting the hand feedings. I had been including light exercise and stomach massages with a warm compress throughout the day to try and help things along. Nothing seemed to be working so I took him to an emergency vet. The e-vet said he looked bright and responsive and that I should continue what I was doing and give the meds some time to work.

The following morning the emergency visit's summary was faxed to the regular vet. Vet #1 called me to check in and told me to drop by to pick up Metacam. I was to continue him on his current treatment with the addition of Metacam and check in on Monday, Dec 6.

It's Sunday the 5th. Regular vet is closed. Blitz has had no improvement whatsoever. Throughout the morning I observe him continue to be lethargic, appear bloated and resistant to meds (which he usually loves) and hand feedings with barely any poops to show. I couldn't bear the thought of standing by watching him waste away in obvious discomfort for another day. I called the emergency vet, explained the situation and brought him in that afternoon. I accepted their offer of sub-q fluids and bloodwork to look for other causes of his condition. After treatment, his bloodwork came back showing his kidney levels were high (either from his illness or kidney damage) so he was taken off the metacam; also his glucose levels were ridiculously skyhigh over 700. I was instructed to have his regular vet check his glucose again and if it's consistent then I might be dealing with diabetes. I was given a bag of sub-q fluids and injectable Metoclopramide and Buprenorephine to replace the oral Metoclopramide and metacam.

Monday the 6th. RELIEF! THERE'S POOP! And lots of it too. The injectable Metoclopramide did the trick. I setup a follow-up visit with the regular vet that night to go over my concerns with the previous bloodwork. Vet #2 sees him and reviews his history with me. He says a chinchilla with such high glucose levels is unheard of. New bloodwork is done and comes back normal. His glucose level is a little high at 390-something, but far better than the 700 + scenario. Kidney levels are normal. After some thought the vet believes the previous blood work was incorrect. If they were unable to get a large enough blood sample - which is possible with chins - that saline (i think) is used in addition and the results are multiplied to approximate the actual blood values. Blitz's second bloodwork had a large enough sample so we believe those are his actual blood values. Fears of diabetes squashed for now. I explain to Vet #2 about Blitz resisting oral meds and hand feedings plus Blitz pawing at his mouth previously. Vet #2 believes there are teeth points causing him discomfort in his back molars being missed by regular examination. He wants to follow-up on Friday, the 10th with a head x-ray and going in and trimming any points. I am told to stop the Cisapride and Simethicone since he is pooping normally now.

Days leading up to December 10th: Blitz is responding very well to the injectable Metoclopramide and there are plenty of poops to show for it. However he is drooling excessively during the night in between buprenorephine injections. He is still resistant to feedings and meds. He is around 575g in weight as a result.

Friday, December 10th. I drop Blitz off at the vet for his day of x-ray and teeth trim. Upon picking him up I learn that - in addition to some points that caused a draining abscess in one cheek - he had 3 fractured molars that needed to be extracted. I was dumbfounded. Vet #2 said he should be feeling better over the weekend and to continue hand feeding him. He is put back on Metacam and taken off Buprenorephine. He is also started on a new anti-biotic, Chloramphenicol, which is supposedly better for mouth ailments. I am to stop giving Baytril and Metoclopramide on Sunday.

Friday evening into Saturday, December 11th. Blitz takes his oral meds much more easily, but is super resistant to feedings. He struggles and freaks out with every attempt of giving him the syringe. He squeals and cries and kacks. I'm exceedingly scratched up over my hands and forearms. Blitz has started to duck down into the burrito if he can't escape it, or squeeze out and hide in my shirt or curled under my neck. Either way he's flailing like crazy and usually vocal about his protest. Even during the discomfort of the tooth infection he was never this resistant to hand feedings. I was only able to get 5-7 CCs of food into him on Friday evening. I leave him be hoping for the Metacam to help matters in the morning. It didn't. I called the vet's office explaining to the receptionist to ask the Exotics vet on staff if I could increase his pain meds if he continues to resist like this. The receptionist returns and says Vet #3 said he's at the maximum he can receive for Metacam and that I need to do better with my hand feedings or he will just waste away. If I can't get him to eat than I will need to bring him to an emergency vet.

Right now: I've fed him approx 35cc of Critical Care. I know it's not enough but he's being so difficult and I'm really scared that there's still something wrong with his mouth that it's causing him more pain. I want to put him back on the Buprenorephine since that worked so well when he had a tooth infection, but Vet #2 wants him off it since it could decrease his appetite further and he needs to put weight back on. Blitz hasn't been pooping as well due to his decrease in food, and occasionally starts grinding his teeth. Despite this he was chirping and wall surfing for 2 hours or so when I had him out for feedings in his play pen. He's active and playful while out of the cage, and enjoys my attention.

I'm a wreck because I just want Blitz to be better and I'm doing everything I can to help him. I can't afford to bring him to an overpriced emergency vet *again* but I will if I have to. I'm pissed over what was said about the Metacam because his current prescription is 0.04ml once daily when Vet #1 FROM THE SAME CLINIC prescribed him 0.11ml once daily a week earlier. I don't know what to think about this current vet clinic. It's one of the few exotics clinics I could find in my area, but I feel dismissed about my questions/concerns at the moment, they're not open on Sundays and don't even have e-mail or voicemail to leave messages for the vets after hours. I'm thinking about bringing Blitz to the regular exotic clinic that also does the 24 hour emergency services tomorrow. After all the time and money I've spent to ensure he'll be okay, I have not gotten the results I've wanted.

I'm very sorry for the long novel and rant. I've been up since 4am trying to feed Blitz. I just need some encouragement and reassurance from those that understand, and have more experience than me. Should I just grin and bear the feedings with Blitz or does his resistance sound worthy of yet another vet visit? I thought tooth extractions were very risky with chins due to their fragile bones, anyone have advice regarding this and tooth fractures? Also if anyone is willing to speak with me over the phone, I'll PM my phone number to whoever is generous enough to lend an ear.

TL;DR: Blitz has been diagnosed with bloat, GI Stasis, cheek abscess and 3 tooth fractures within the last 2 weeks. Despite being told by the vet that he should be feeling better, Blitz freaks out and resists any attempt at being hand fed. I'm starting to doubt my current vet's treatment and overall ability. I need someone to talk to.

I miss my old vet in NJ. :'(

Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
He is in extreme pain by the symptoms you list-I would again push for the buprenex, use it with the reglan and propulsid so the GI tract keeps working, use it with the max dose of metecam for inflamation. Lessen the pain and he should be somewhat easier to feed. I have had several chins who have had teeth extracted-the recovery time is long-20-30 days to see symptoms of pain go away. The chlora will reduce the appetite also so this will be a fight to keep him fed. I would in this extreme case use the method of dipping the tip of the syringe in someting tasty like Dyne and put the syringe tip to his lips and give him a taste, if he likes it he will take a bite and you squirt some CC in. You can also try something like molasses or apple sauce, its sugar but in this case it might be the only way to get food in him.

I have been down this road with a chin whose rotton teeth resulted in malo and osteomylitis and nothing I would do would get him fed, so I have tried quite a few techniques of getting fighters to eat.

Thanks Dawn. I was hoping to hear from you as well. Your advice helped get me through managing Blitz's tooth infection last year.

I will start giving him the Buprenex again. I've tried enticing him with Dyne before, but he didn't go for it. I'll try again after he's had the Buprenex if not I have apple sauce on hand to try.

I want to see my little guy enjoying his food again. I know he enjoys Critical Care and has eaten it freely from a bowl when he is pain free.

When the teeth are extracted and there is a active infection in the mouth, the sockets can become infected as well, make sure he gets the full course of antibiotics, he may even need to go longer than 7 days. Last abscess I dealt with the chin was on it for 20 days on, 10 days off, 20 days on. Food is what really needs to be focused on along with pain control and infection control-lots of things going on here and I know it feels like you are juggling all the balls at once but in this case you are. I give the pain med and feed a hour later when using a injectable opiod like buprenex, the med kicks in and the chin gets somewhat drowsy, easier to get them to eat then. With the GI issues and the teeth issues it would not suprise me if it takes 30 days or so to get back to his norm.

Holy crap Dawn that worked better than anticipated! He just ate 15ccs like a champ. I don't think I've ever hand-fed him this quickly before! Next time I'll have multiple syringes of CC ready ;)

Ever since I started him back on the reglan injections he's been having a bunch of tiny poops. It's better than nothing so I'll take it. Hopefully they'll start increasing to normal-ish sizes after tonight if he continues to eat this heartily!

I'll update later tonight.

If he is producing poo it means he is out of the woods IMO with the stasis, keep up the reglan until his poo is normal and he is eating a full ration a day, he has a appetite so the bloat is not a issue either. The pain sounds like is getting under control also, so now just keep on keep on keepin' on with this method and feed him as much as he wants at a sitting, mine can eat 30ml at one time. Do it until he is done with the antibiotics or he starts eating on his own, keep us posted!

Attempted to hand feed again about an hour after giving him the Buprenex. It went pretty smoothly for about 10ml of CC, then he started fighting me. I forced him to finish the remaining 5ml of the syringe before giving him a break. I was hoping to start a second syringe before he started resisting. I'll try again around midnight and hope for the best. I don't like force feeding him when he's so resistant, but he needs to eat more.

Yesterday I managed to get him to eat about 35ml of CC. Today I'm shooting for 45ml. If I can get to 60ml without much issue then I'll be happy.

Other than that he's active around his cage. Running on his wheel and just being his curious, attention-whoring self. His poops have been getting larger but it's slowed down a bit. I switched him back to the oral reglan this evening so if there are no improvements with poops by the morning I'll start the injectable reglan again. His poor butt must be so sore right now. :(

No luck with the follow-up feeding. He didn't even go for the first bite. I tried dipping in Dyne, apple sauce, and pineapple juice since it was on hand. He seemed interested, but nothing enticed him enough to not put up a fight in the end. I maybe got 5ml in him bringing today's CC total to about 35ml again. :-\

Good news is he gained weight from last night. I weighed him at 575g yesterday, today he weighed 594g. I'm glad despite the challenging feedings that he's not "wasting away" as Vet #3 said would happen if I didn't feed him 60ml+. However I know he can't go on approx. 15ml feedings twice a day.

I think I really need to push him to eat 30ml after the Buprenex shots. He was chattering his teeth like crazy after this last attempt. He obviously wasn't interested in eating on account of pain, but where do I draw the line on feeding as much (or little) as he wants vs feeding him what he needs?

Tomorrow morning I'm calling Vet #2 and explaining that I get better results if I keep him on Buprenex, and if he would be willing to re-fill his prescription. Since I'm not sure if Vet#2 is cool with clients that take initiatives with treatments and ask lots of questions, here's hoping he goes along with the Buprenex.

Last edited:
If he gained weight on the 35ml that is good, shoot for at least that since if he maintains or gains its enough food for him right now.

I'm pretty confident I can manage getting him to eat 35ml each day. However I'd feel so much better if I can get 45+ instead.

He showed no interest in the dipped syringe method after the Buprenex this morning. However he didn't fight me nearly as hard and didn't act nearly as desperate to not eat. I was able to feed him about 20ml before leaving for work.

He's pooping, but they seem a little dry/brittle at the moment. Is it safe to syringe feed him a little bit of water? I don't want him to choke, but it can't be much different than his oral meds if I do it in small amounts.

I left a message at the vet clinic for his vet to call me to discuss other pain management options. I need more buprenex if I want to keep him this manageable at feedings.

Thank you for the advice and support from everyone! It means a lot. :)

Today's feedings were rough, but nothing compared to the attempted feedings over the weekend without Buprenex. Blitz does not happily feed from dipped syringes anymore but he's compliant for the first half of the feeding. The final half requires me to reluctantly re-burrito him each bite and force feed the CC.

I've managed to increase the amount of food today. 20ml feedings following Buprenex and 5ml right before bed (he most resistant to this one since he receives the buprenex earlier in the evening). I'll try to maintain 45ml a day from here on out.

He weighed in at 595g tonight so he's maintaining weight and seems to be pooping quite nicely albeit smallish droppings. He was rather active and playful tonight in his cage. He also seemed interested in his toys and hay. I did a mixture of Timothy and Alfalfa in order to entice him. Is the alfalfa ok in small amounts? I know it's really heavy protein-wise but I've tried every other type of Oxbow hay available in my area without much luck.

I syringe fed a little bit of water with his evening feeding, but I'm trying to keep his CC a little runny in order to give him extra water that way. That's it for today's update. Thanks again to Dawn for the wonderful advice as always and Brittany for her kind words and support.

Alfalfa is fine in this case, the leaves are tender and since he is not eating pellets he is not getting alfalfa so the hay is fine.

So it seems Blitz is finally starting to feel better. He's been nibbling on hay and wood toys, accepted a cheerio from the boyfriend greedily, and seems to fight me with feedings out of what seems to be annoyance more than pain.

Tuesday night he dropped some weight when I weighed him in at 591g, but he quickly regained it and then some the following night when he weighed in at 597g. He had an hour of playtime where he was super active with plenty of wall surfing (not common for him) and other playful antics.

Currently he's running non-stop in his wheel. He still won't accept meds like he used to but I believe he doesn't really enjoy the taste of this clinic's formulations. He'll get fed his usual 15ml of CC in about an hour. I anticipate fussing, but nothing I wouldn't expect from an annoyed chin that doesn't want to be handled.

I'll be boarding him with the vet over the weekend while I attend a friend's graduation out of state. I hope he doesn't backtrack from stress. He's been boarded at vets before and has been moved around a bunch with me. Part of me hopes he knows this is semi-routine and that I'll be back for him in no time.

Thanks again everyone.

Back