2 new baby girls on the way. New owner.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porce

Well, in a weeks time I shall be collecting and bringing home an ebony female kit and a female white/ebony kit, both around 12-14 weeks old.

To say I'm excited is an understatement! I'm a grown man and I've been running around for weeks like a little girl who just won VIP tickets to a One Direction concert.

Asked a million times before I'm sure, but is a "regular" pet carrier (e.g. cat/small dog carrier) ok to collect and bring them home in? I'm planning on putting a hidey house in there for the journey so they can skulk away from all the fuss. Also, is it a good idea to bring a blanket to drape over the carrier to block out the outside world to help them stay calm?

Once home they're going to be transferred into a Little Zoo X-Trail cage
( http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Little_Zoo_X-Trail_Animal_Cage.htm ) with the custom built shelves I've made after I've removed the wire ladders. I assume they'll be big enough by then to not be able to squeeze through the bars!

Good day to you all!

Hi there, and congrats on your new furbabies!

You can definitely use a regular pet carrier- but I would do it without the hidey house. Just in case you should have to slam on your brakes for whatever reason while driving, the hidey house could get tossed and potentially injure one of the chins. I would just put a handful of hay and some chew toys in there to pre-occupy them, but usually chins just sleep during travel. All of mine have moved around with me and done great for the trips. A blanket covering half of the carrier should be ok, but I've never had to use one. Just be sure you don't cover it all the way to allow for good air flow and to avoid the carrier getting too warm.

I use regular pet carriers...the ones that have separate top and bottoms and they either clip on or you attach them with screws. I personally take a piece of fleece and drape it into the bottom part (so that it hangs over the sides) and then I put the top on. That way the chins have fleece to sit on, and also my chins make there way under the fleece to curl up and hide if they feel the need to. Here is a pic of some of my chins in the car: http://i.imgur.com/v3XdRw9.jpg

Thanks for replying, much appreciated.

It's going to be a fairly long journey (160 miles) so I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible for them. Not quite sure about how to provide water as I don't want it dribbling out all over the place and getting them wet. Will they be ok for around 3 hours without it?

To say I'm excited is an understatement! I'm a grown man and I've been running around for weeks like a little girl who just won VIP tickets to a One Direction concert.

^^^ That was the best thing I've ever heard Lol.

One of my chins had a 2.5 hour ride home. He slept most of the time, so they should be fine. He had some hay to munch on but he didn't touch it.

I am a college student and my drive from home to school is almost exactly 160 miles. They come with me back and forth and they are always fine. No need for water. They are agitated about being in a carrier for the first 10 min and then they sleep the whole time :)

Good to hear your experiences. Thanks for the reassurance and advice. I can't wait!

Congrats on your chinnies!

I used a regular pet carrier because that was all i had. What you need to focus on however is the door. Mine was just thick wires vertically and horizontally (Making squares). The trouble with that was my kit could slid right through them with no problem what so ever. So that's something you need to check.

On the same note; i cant tell from the pic of the cage, but i can assure you that chins can fit through 1 inch bar spacing like it doesn't even exist. And can do it for the first few months (size). If those are 1 inch spacings on the cage then you will need to baby proof it. (Ive never had half inch, but id still keep an eye on it. I'm cautious like that after almost losing a kit from going through the bars.)

I use a very thin blanket over the carrier when i travel. Not only for a more secure felling, but to prevent any wind gusts or drafts from getting to him. Once i get the cage in the car, i leave the blanket on for security/peace of mind, but i pull it back to open up half the front door for air circulation.

Latest posts

Back