2 chins, 2 different tudes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter bought 2 chins together. They get along fine but one is just nasty. She doesn't want to come out of the cage, take a dust bath, nothing. She'll run around the cage and be active, but that's about it. The other is totally normal. She nibbles your hands if it's in the cage and has jumped on my shoulder when I opened the door to help my daughter clean it. Is that just the luck of the drawl? We nearly have to trap the other one to get her out of the cage. It's actually pretty bad.

They can just have different personalities. I had a chin once that we called the alligator-chin. She would bite you any chance she got. But the thing is, I had her, and another chin, at the same time from when they were babies to adults. They were treated exactly the same. One turned out pretty nice, the other was the alligator-chin. Just like people, chins can have different personalities too.

My two chins are like night and day. Girl is shy, sweet, scared of anything but would never ever bite or bark at us. Runs on her wheel all night long. My male is beyond ornery, flies through his cage but lazy on his wheel. Open his cage and he leaps in our arms but will bark if you dare touch him if he doesn't want to be touched. He'll tear your clothes off if he thinks they are tasty. Just like children, they definitely have their own personality and touch your heart. Some days I would love to have a dozen more, other days I thank God I only have two.

My girls are the same. One is a little lump and refuses to move for anything, the other is a little she-devil who flies around her cage like she's on adrenaline pills. She has started to calm a little lately and allows me to touch her without boxing with me, so perhaps it was teen hormones. Hopefully, with a little time and understanding yours can calm as well. One thing that helped my relationship with my crazy chin was to not force her to do anything she didn't want to. My girl will still bite me or smack my hand with her paw, but i love her anyway. She's just my little nut ball.

I have over 100 chins and just as many attitudes and personalities. It is part of the attraction.

Most of these are my breeders and the kits I am growing out for show but in addition I have pets as well. Our very first two chins are male cagemates. They have been together since babies. Both treated the same. Max is like a floppy teddy bear. He is loving and sweet and will put up with anything. The other is a devil and always has been. We wouldn't part with either one because although Diego (better known as El Diablo) is mean and nasty to humans, he and Max are bonded and love each other. We wouldn't trade either one if them for the world.

How long have you had them for? If she just got the maybe she is still adjusting to her knew surroundings and is scared. It's already been said but each chin has a different personality so you never really know what your gonna end up with unless your able to spend some time with them before you purchase them to learn their attitudes.

Latest posts

Back