1 layer or 2 layers for fleece liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

Is it easier to have 1 layer of fleece with a towel underneath or 2 layers of fleece sewn together?

Personally... I went with three layers. I did one set with only two and it's definitely not nearly as absorbent. I've heard of some people using the material you put inside quilts in between their's or even a towel. My concern with the quilt material is all the stuff I found was fire resistant which meant it had plastics in it. I wouldn't want my girls chewing at it. I ended up spending about $40 to make 4 liners (or two sets of liners for 2 pans). The pans in a FN are quite large.

If you are using a towel underneath I don't think you'd need an extra layer of fleece. I just make liners of on layer of fleece but since my boys use potty pans they don't pee on them.

ETA I meant to post one layer :eek:

Last edited:
You can do 2 layers of fleece or the towel sandwiched in between 2 layers of fleece. Just don't have any towel exposed. If they ingest it, it can cause impaction.

I found this batting that has a diamond shape in the batting section of the craft store that I used for my liners. I put one layer of fleece with one layer of batting on the side where it will be laying on the cage floor. The other side I had nothing as I kept the side open in order to put it on as a "pillowcase" type. It does the job by soaking up the urine.

I always recommend (and use) a 3 layer liner. Two layers of fleece and a layer of towel on the inside sewn shut. I would NOT recommend using anything other than fleece that could be exposed by simple digging/ruffling of the liner. For instance, as mentioned, if you use a towel under the fleece...and the fleece gets dug up, the towel which is NOT a chin safe fabric could become exposed and therefore could be chewed on.

I use two layers of fleece. It's one big piece folded in half to create the two layers since I don't have a sewing machine/can't sew. He digs up the corners sometimes, but not too much. I just flatten it back out.

I make mine with two pieces of fleece with terrycloth sewed in as the middle layer. I've bought some liners (I didn't care to take the time to make all of mine) that were just two layers of fleece with nothing in the middle, and I'm just not as crazy about them. They don't absorb as well.

I make my liners with 3 layers of fleece. Had some with terrycloth in the middle once. They seemed to shrink worse than just the fleece and they were harder to get dry.

That's actually a good point, they do seem to shrink more with the terrycloth middle. Oh, and never...EVER wash a fleece liner with fabric softener or with laundry detergent that has fabric softener in it...causes moisture to lay on top rather than be absorbed in ;)

That's actually a good point, they do seem to shrink more with the terrycloth middle. Oh, and never...EVER wash a fleece liner with fabric softener or with laundry detergent that has fabric softener in it...causes moisture to lay on top rather than be absorbed in ;)

I know this is an old post, but I'm going to be making some liners and never knew to not use soap or softener.

So...without soap, how do you clean it? Just toss it in the laundry machine in hot water or???

What if you have a HE washer and you don't add the detergent directly to the clothing, it goes in the little pull out drawer?

Do you just toss it in with the fleece or pour it in the little pull out drawer where detergent would normally go?

Ah, of course.
I don't think how you put in the vinegar will effect its capability to clean your fleece. :)

Latest posts

Back