Help! Found white blob!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AnimalsR4Me

Let me first say, I no longer own chins, so this is a hypothetical for learning purposes only... :) Amanda said we could pretend we didn't know anything! I get asked this question often because I often reply to craigslist ads regarding chinchillas!

So...I was looking at my female chinchilla today, and I found a white slimey blob in her cage! What is it!? She has a cagemate, who is a female, and I don't own any males! Someone help! I don't know what it is, or what to do!

It's an estrus plug. When a female goes into heat, she extrudes a waxy plug. She also does this after mating, but the plugs aren't "quite" the same to look at, though they are similar in feel.

On a rare occasion you might find it stuck in their fur and have to cut it out......grrrrrr! (sorry just venting)

If you are breeding and you find one of those you can usually use that date and add 111 days to try and find a due date for a chin.

Did you look for paw prints on the outside of the cage? Maybe one of those "escaped months ago and we can't find him" chins snuck in your house, and "took" one of your females through the bars!
Leave a dustbath on the floor tonight, to see if he's still around! :rofl:
[you said we could be hypothetical!]

Speaking of white blobs, I found one in the cage today so I took a picture of it...Not sure how long it has been in the cage.

I am so excited! Hoping for babies soon from this pair

Attachments

• DSCN0136.jpg
    DSCN0136.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back