Spots?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

giname80

I just adopted two chins from an animal shelter.. one of them has brownish spots all over both ears. It looks like it's just part of it's coloring, but I haven't seen any others with those markings.. is it normal, or a sign of a problem?

Thanks!
Gina

What color is the chin itself? Beiges and tans have freckles on their ears and it's completely normal.

Congrats on the new additions! Most likely the chins are a beige variation (pink white, tan, beige, homo beige), and then spots or freckles are perfectly normal and just adorable. They can get more as they age too. This is the place for questions, great people, and great advice, so I am so glad you found us. Welcome.

Do they look like this?
baxter0607084.jpg

Here's a picture of a Tan and Tan White with spots. Spots can be big or small, light to dark. Some come with age, most come with genetics. :))

Attachments

• SpotTan.jpg
    SpotTan.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 33
  • SpotTanWhite.jpg
    SpotTanWhite.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 38
That's kinda what they look like, but bigger and all over. I don't think it's beige.. It looks like a standard grey to me.. But I wouldn't be the best judge of that i guess since I've never owned one before.. I'll take pictures tmrw and post them..

MANY people confuse beige chins with standards, because beige chins aren't really beige. LOL! They are sort of brownish grey, I guess you would call them. But trust me, if he's got freckles, he's beige. And lots of big freckles usually means it's an older chin. Did they tell you ages?
I'd love to see photos!! Congrats, and welcome to the world of chins!

I rescued Joey (standard) and Louey (beige) and you could hardly tell them apart, they really had no color just washed out blah from poor diet and beach sand dustbaths. Now they are both handsome, healthy colorful boys.

The freckles means the beige gene is in there somewhere. It could be tan, beige, pink white, etc.

Beiges and grays look nothing alike. Grays are grays and beiges are a shade of brown.

I know I hated beiges when I first got into chins. Then, I discovered that I had terrible quality beiges, which is why I thought they were yucky. When I actually saw a super quality beige, I couldn't believe what they looked like!

They said that they were 5 years old.. But of course that may or may not be true. The guy who turned them in to the shelter told them that his daughter was going to college and he didn't want to take care of them while she was gone. I'm glad I got there to get them when I did and they had only had them about 3 or 4 days.. They were keeping them in a garage bay type room, with the doors open.. it's like 90+ outside. poor babies. They were all greesy looking for lack of words. I got them and gave them dust bathes and toys and houses.. Their cages had been completely empty except for cardboard boxes the shelter had cut up for them to hide in, and water bottles. They look MUCH better now and my husband just brushed the spotty eared one and I think you guys are right, it is beige.. it was just nasty. I'm attaching pictures for your viewing pleasure. :) They aren't great pics, but they'll do.
chinny009-1.jpg
chinny004.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, as long as there's a white tummy in there, definitely a beige.

I love beiges. :)

Here's a pic of the boy (we just checked and the spotty eared on is a girl). He doesn't have spots, but now looking at him.. is he beige to?

StormChins011.jpg

StormChins008.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back