Foot burn!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logancarter1

For reasons out of my control, my chin burned the pads of his feet on a very hot surface. Currently he is walking, but rather slow. He is spending most of his time trying to sleep. He is unable to lay with his feet on the ground, and is propping them up by himself. I am very worried, any help is greatly needed!

If we suffered a serious burn, we would seek medical help. The same thing needs to be done for your chinnie to get him out of pain and to get treatment before any risk of infection settles in. You also don't want him to stop eating because it is too painful for him to get to his food/water bowl. Please get him to a vet now. Don't wait.

Your chins safety is in your hands when he is out of his cage, it is most important that YOU make sure of this when he is out, and if not keep him from leaving his cage and get him to a vet!!

If your chin goes into shock from the pain, he could be dead in a matter of hours. If he stops eating because of the pain, he could be dead in a matter of a couple of days due to GI stasis.

Any vet is better than no vet at all, but there is a list of vets in the US with chinchilla experience. Check this page for the ones nearest you: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Worst case scenario, a regular mammal vet can call for specific advice if needed.

He has to see a vet and get metcam for pain. You may have to hand feed him. My Joey got burned too. My son wasn't ready to eat quite yet and left the oven door open a crack so the food wouldn't over cook. I didn't know this and Joey hopped in the small V of the oven door. We got him to the E-vet, gave him pain meds and I had to hand feed him. I thought I would lose him, it was a long hard battle but he pulled through. His balls and rear end were singed also. Do not let him suffer and do not self treat.

Even in humans when the hand or foot is burned it needs extra care, the tissue can swell and choke of circulation to the limb leading to amputation if not cared for right. Also infection can be real bad, even after you get care, I would also clean his cage daily till he is healed and maybe put every thing on one level (take out shelves ect) so that he doesn't have to climb or try to climb.

Back