sex during pregnancy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christapalige

Hey all
So we put our chins together about a month and a half ago and it looked like they got to work that day. Since then we have not seen them got busy, but it looks like he is trying. He will mount her but runs away before he humps her. We have noticed weight gain in her hips, but we do not know for sure if she is pregnant. I guess the main question we were looking to ask was if they will still have sex during pregnancy or if they stop because they somehow know when the seed has been planted.

Thanks all!

P.S. Before anyone thinks about giving the disclaimer of us being responsible enough, we have done all the necessary research and have had both chins checked out and made sure they were healthy. Yes this is our first time breeding but we are taking every precaution possible. We love these chins! :hug2:

Chins will continue to mate up to the time of delivery and even right after. It is possible that the breeding took the first time, but it is still a bit early for any weight gain to be showing. Keep on mind, chinchillas are capable of carrying two pregnancies at one time due to the two uterine horns. Once you are sure she is pregnant, you need to remove the male to help prevent this. Also, he will try to mate her right after the delivery and the kits could get trampled.

Do either of these chinchillas have pedigrees and are they of breeding quality? A veterinarian cannot tell you this. Besides, health is not the only issue here. The chinchillas need to come from lines that do not carry any genetic diseases. There is no way a vet will be able to know by just looking at them. that is why a pedigree is important.

Agreed with Cuddlebug, checked out by whom? There are very few vets I'd even trust to own a chin, let alone decide if one was in need of a surgery or healthy.

Secondly, mounting does not equal mating. And even seeing a mating does not mean she took. For example two males can mount each other, doesn't mean you should mark the calendar. As I'm sure you know since you've done your research it may take years for them to produce, or they may never produce. The only way to monitor true weight gain in a chin is by weighing them on a scale. Usually a male will only try to mate when the female is in heat, a young male may try to mate just because he's young. Chins are not people and don't "have sex" for fun.

He may not actually be having sex with her. Chins do the action of humping to show dominance. You will know in time if she is pregnant. Usually about 2 1/2 months you will see a change in her behavior and might be able to feel the babies when handling her. Don't push on her stomach tho to try and feel just wait and see if you feel it. As far as having sèx while pregnant. I don't know if it's good or bad but I have not seen people who breed chinchillas around here separate the parents until birth and usually only for 10 days.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Okay, some of this is just plain silly. Yes, they do have sex for fun, all animals enjoy mating, they're not theorizing about the survival of the species. And, another point, that's why the males "service" themselves too, it feels great.

Not every estrus produces eggs in the female, therefore she may not get pregnant the first or second or even third time. That's why some females seem to take forever and other's get pregnant when the males just look at them. They have two uterine horns and can get pregnant in either at the same time and at a fairly short time even after the first impregnation. I've had many times a preemy born or a stillborn days after the initial birth.

Count down from the first "mating", and then that's your first mile post, first possible 'baby sighting'. Good luck, I hope you have more than one and ENJOY! I for one hope you keep growing your 'herd'.

I agree with Sue. My chichi masturbates too much to not be enjoying it. :p He has even fell asleep in the middle of it. :sly:

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

How can they mate when the female is closed when not in heat? Even when swabbing a female not open it takes gentle persistence to get her open. I doubt a male chins penis is going to sit there and work at it just for enjoyment... especially when their mating latest such a short time. So a male may try to mate for some form of enjoyment, that does not mean he is actually mating. Since the female runs away from him when he does it, I'm assuming she's not enjoying it.

While there are natural desires inbred which allow for the continuation of the species, they are at their highest when the female is in heat due to the hormones she releases.

Last edited:
Thank you rockka, you guys have all been really helpful, and im just staying on my toes and keeping my eyes open at all times so theres no surprises!

Latest posts

Back