Questions.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
I have a 6 year old standard grey chinchilla. Anyways, he's been living a lone for 6 years, and I am considering getting a female chinchilla since I have a Ferret Nation to fit both. Now, I do want them to breed because I want my chinchilla to pass down genetics. I already know I should never get a young female, but an adult instead. I never breeded before, and I was wondering what colors are ok to breed. Like, is it ok to get a white female? Yes I know I have to introduce them and such, and will make sure everything is fine. I have more than enough supplies and lots of herbs from forever feisty chinchilla rescue. If necessary, I will buy another Ferret Nation for the female if they don't get a long. I don't want them to keep breeding, only once, and will separate them or get one fixed. I've been considering another chinchilla for quite some time, and will adopt one/rescue. Also I was wondering since my male has a curly tail, if it would pass down in genetics. Yes, I am an experienced chinchilla owner, and will make sure to separate the female in her own chin baby proofed cage, etc. Help, never breeded before.

Rescues should never be bred & any of the "reputable" rescues will never adopt a chinchilla out to someone knowing that they are going to breed them. Do a lot of reading on the breeding & babies section of the forum. There is a ton to learn. Attend some chinchilla shows to learn what breeding quality chins look like, and what to strive for when breeding them. "Cute, furry babies" is not a good enough reason- there are hundreds of chins just sitting in rescues needing homes. Then, if you still want to get into breeding, find a reputable breeder and buy two pedigreed, breeding quality chins from them. If you're just wanting more chins, why not consider adopting rescues that are already here and need homes?

Last edited:
don't use your male for breeding. un-pedigreed chins, store bought chins, and rescues should, as Stacie said, never ever be bred.

My chinchilla was from a chinchilla breeding farm/ranch. He was breeded from there, and they are extremely well taken care of. He wasn't a storebrought or rescue. And if necessary I would get a female from the same ranch..Is it still ok to breed?

What ranch did you get him from? Just because you got him from a ranch does not mean he should be bred or is breeding quality. You could take him to a show or a knowledgeable breeder and get him evaluated, but you also need to know his history. You should do a lot of research and thinking first, and remember, breeding can bring hundreds/thousands of dollars in vet bills should something go wrong. Do you have the funds? You may also have to hand feed babies around the clock. You could lose the male or female. Go through the breeding horror stories section on here...Would you be prepared for that? What about school, friends, jobs, etc...all something you could sacrifice?

Last edited:
I guess what I am wondering, if he was such a great male why was he taken out of breeding?

I think it's great that are asking before doing! I'm wondering because it sounds like you are basically just planning on having one litter, maybe two? Why not just rescue a chin in need? You said that you want to breed your male for "his genetics" which takes me back to my first question, why was he taken out of breeding in the first place? And what do you plan to do with these "genetically" engineered kits?

To answer your question about colors, the only colors that you have problems breeding are TOV ( any form of it ) to TOV and white to white.

ETA: Okay, I must have mis-understood, you got this chin as a kit, not as an adult. The proper term is "bred" not breeded. It has been making it hard for my brain to understand. Anyway, I'd be interested to know what great genetic qualities you feel your chin has that you should breed him. Also has he been shown or evaluated by a judge? And yes, a curly tail is highly genetic. It is not a desirable trait.

Last edited:
He was a baby born from breeding. :) I have no idea if he's show quality, probably not, because he has a curly tail. No, he has never been evaluated for show quality. He has a little tiny rip on the top of his left ear as a mark when he was in the ranch. Thank you so much for all the help. I want his genetics because he is getting old now, he is 6 and I always want his genes passed on. Plus he's very lonely in his cage, I can tell. I've always wanted a female chin, and imagined if they had babies, I would keep at least 2 and may be give the rest of the chins once their 2 months to a good experienced chinchilla owner. I am not willing to ever risk the life of male chin :( I never knew he can be harmed in any way from breeding. I just can't imagine ever letting go of my chinchilla. He is very healthy and always been. I am more than willing to hand feed if necessary, I just wanted babies with his genes. I work with my own money and working to be independent, and still in high school so no I don't have the funds to provide vet bills. But I do have more than enough to buy supplies or anything they need. My chinchilla's never been to a vet except to be examined about 4 years ago to go on a plane. And yes I can sacrifice my personal life to take care of my chinchillas if something goes wrong.

Every animal or human is born from breeding. That's how we get here.

Why do you want his genes passed on? What if he has crappy fur or may develop malocclusion? You need a good reason to breed, and a knowledge of what the genetics even are before you want to "pass them on."

A 2 a.m. visit to the vet in most parts of the country is going to be upwards of $1000.00 in case a C-section and spay is needed. Do you know what hand feeding means? It means EVERY 2 hours around the clock for weeks. I mean every single two hours you get up, you heat up formula, you hand feed, and you go back to bed and set the alarm again. You do it while you are asleep, while you are at school, while you are at work. How can you do that if you are still in high school?

Him being 6 years old is not old seeing he could easily live until 15+ years. You keep talking about "his genetics". I just wondering what genes are you hoping he will pass down to his offspring.

Yeah, you are right. And plus, I am never willing to risk my chinchilla's life for breeding. But I do believe he needs a companion, preferably female for me. That's why this whole breeding thing came into my mind. I really thought babies was the way to go, but of course there's precautions. I don't know, I think I am going to go to the Chinchilla ranch where he was bought from and ask them questions, and for them to evaluate. He was nearly 300 dollars so I'm guessing he's good quality.

Is there any reason why you are set on a female, other than wanting one? There really is no difference between males and females as every chin has their own personality. I have 3 male pairs and they are happy together.

He doesn't need a companion. Chins can be perfectly happy living alone, and some even prefer it. I have one chin that stays by himself because he has literally mauled and killed another chin before. There is no guarantee that your chin won't do the same, or have it happen to him. You can always try, but be prepared for having to separate cages and two separate chins. Introductions can be very tricky and time consuming, sometimes never working.

You are right. He is very defensive when it comes to his territory. When my dog passes by his cage, he attacks her. I think I would definitely want to introduce other chins to my chinchilla first before I see if he gets a long with other chins and considering buying other one. Thanks for all the help!

I think I would definitely want to introduce other chins to my chinchilla first before I see if he gets a long with other chins and considering buying other one.

I'm hoping this does not mean that you are willing to risk the health of your chin by taking it to a ranch to meet other chins and see if it gets along with other chins first? This is just asking for trouble... not only could your chin get attacked by another chin (& it can happen in a second), and I can't think of a reputable breeder letting you bring your chin in and get their chins "possibly" attacked by your chin, as well as illnesses/diseases can easily be transferred to your chin by doing this.

True, no I wasn't going to bring him to the ranch. Plus it's so hot in the summer. I don't know what to do. I don't know anyone who lives close that has any chinchillas, so I don't how I'm ever going introduce him to another chin unless I adopt another one (not for breeding) just as a another pet.

So you're not breeding for genetics, you're breeding because you want your pet to "live on" through it's offspring? It doesn't happen that way. Look at your parents, I doubt you're the same as either of them.

I once sold a chin for $400 as a kit, she didn't grow, and ended up with crappy fur. Price doesn't mean anything on quality, it's just a sign of how much someone is willing to pay for an animal. Some of the best chins I ever had here I paid $25 for.

Again, I think it's good you're asking questions and stuff and not just jumping in. Introducing chins isn't like taking a dog to a dog park. Plus, one chin might get along with one fine, but hate another. Just like any two animals. I'm not sure why you're so set on getting a female, but perhaps if that's what you really want you could consider getting one that's spayed due to c-section or have your male neutered.

Seeing how he acts around other chins isn't necessarily fool-proof, either. Some chins hate certain chins but get along just fine with others. I also have a chin (all my boys are brats..heh) that HATES even the sight of another chin but has lived with his cage mate just fine for 4 years now.

If you feel that your male needs a companion and you really just want a baby, then why not looking at rescues for MALE babies. Some rescues take in females that end up being pregnant, so if it is a baby you want. Why not give a baby male rescue a home?

You get a baby and your male gets a friend. Neither of them are in need of c-sections, etc....if breeding goes wrong.

Yeah I was always wondering how it would be like to have a female. I'd rather not get another male. I'll think about it, but after all your opinions about something possibly going wrong, I'd rather just hold off on the idea of breeding. I wouldn't risk my chinchilla's life. But thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back