Crepe Myrtle and Fig? + combinations

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamiJami

This is 2 questions in 1 post...

Is crepe myrtle wood or fig wood safe for chins? I don't see them on any list as a yay or nay.

Is there a combination of woods that chins seem to like better than just 1 wood or another combination? I know each chin is different. So if yours has a fave combo, just tell me about it, please.

Apple,apple and more apple for my chins. One also really loves hawthorn too.

I'm going to bump this because I never got a response to this question. I just opened a thread asking about kiln dried, bark free maple wood. Please let me know.

Maple and crepe myrtle have properties unsafe for chinchillas. I would suppose fig is also unsafe as it is a Ficus wood which contains a thick latex sap.

Is it only unsafe because of the sap? If there's no sap near it, then it would be safe?

Sap would be in all live branches of the tree although some areas may have a larger amount and some, very little. If it is thin branch without a lot of sap, it may not seep out but stay in the wood and could be consumed. I believe it would bleed more heavily in the warmer months. I would not give it to my chins.

I honestly would not give it to my chins either. I only stick with the known to be safe stuff...anything unknown, not commonly given, or anything like that I steer away from. If I was running a store, I would be extra cautious as well as you can be held liable should anything happen.

Mine could not stand the Kiwi, LOL, its as virgin as the day I put it in the cages a couple of weeks ago! Apple is the top wood here!

4 of my 7 boys approve of the kiwi. The biggest hits with all of my boys are pecan, apple and willow.

Crepe Myrtle is on the safe woods list, so is Fig. If it helps I fed my crepe myrtle trimmings to the guys and nobody died... yet. :D

Note that there is a difference between Crepe Myrtle and myrtlewood (toxic).

Thanks spoof. I saw myrtle wood was toxic. This is a crepe myrtle tree, beautiful blooms! I figured fig should be safe due to no pits.
Even if no one here wants to buy any, I can get it for my guys to try. You can never have enough wood, haha!

Crepe Myrtle is on the safe woods list, so is Fig. If it helps I fed my crepe myrtle trimmings to the guys and nobody died... yet. :D

Note that there is a difference between Crepe Myrtle and myrtlewood (toxic).

Could you link to the safe woods list you are referring to, please?

Latest posts

Back