Winter reminder...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonflye

One of my rescue girls had a bleeding foot sore today (no bumblefoot or sign of infection). I was seeking a bit of advice from Peg (tunes) as to the best way to deal with it, and she mentioned that I might want to check the feet of all of my chins. The weather has been cold and humidity low which can lead to dry cracked feet. I just thought I'd throw it out there. If any of your chins do have cracked or dry looking feet, use a bit of vitamin E or Bag Balm.

It is kinda' scary to find bloody footprints all over your chin's cage. Foot wounds bleed alot apparently...

So just throwing it out there as a preventative measure...;)

Just a question, how can you tell the difference between fungus on the feet, and simple dry feet?

Just a question, how can you tell the difference between fungus on the feet, and simple dry feet?

Fungus will not stay just on the bottom of the foot. And typically, a fungal infection is accompanied by a darker pink, almost red color to the tissue that indicates irritation. Dry feet are simply dry and flaky but otherwise have normal color. Also, a fungal infection will rarely start on the back feet of a chinchilla (usually the feet that get dry and cracked) but usually starts at the nose or eyes and front paws from swiping at the affected areas.

I have been putting a bit of bag balm on Sebastian's feet three times a week lately, the humidity's been very low and his poor feetses were looking very dry. He really was mad at me for it for a little while. "Aw mom, leave me alone!!" :D

I have some badger balm. There are several ingredients to it (EV olive oil, beeswax, castor oil, aloe vera extract and essential oils of wintergreen and sweet birch)--was just wondering if that was ok to use or not. I haven't used it because firstly, Chloe's feet have been normal and secondly, I have no idea if it's safe or not.

I know I have some vitamin E cream somewhere around here, not oil, but I'm sure it has emulsifiers in it so that's questionable as well.

I have some badger balm. There are several ingredients to it (EV olive oil, beeswax, castor oil, aloe vera extract and essential oils of wintergreen and sweet birch)--was just wondering if that was ok to use or not. I haven't used it because firstly, Chloe's feet have been normal and secondly, I have no idea if it's safe or not.

I know I have some vitamin E cream somewhere around here, not oil, but I'm sure it has emulsifiers in it so that's questionable as well.

I would stay away from all 3 and stick to the bagbalm.... Anything on their feet may get ingested when they groom

I would stay away from all 3 and stick to the bagbalm.... Anything on their feet may get ingested when they groom

Got it. But I know bag balm has antiseptic in it. Wouldn't you not want your chin eating antiseptic? And of course I don't know about lanolin and petroleum. I really just don't know any of this stuff...

I thought there was only 1 Bag Balm, the one in the green tin. What other kinds of Bag Balm are there?

other than the forum sellers, where else can we buy bag balm (i hope thats not a silly question-ive just never really seen it/looked for it anywhere)? i was actually thinking about this earlier since gizmo's ears felt a bit dry.

Off to check everyone's feet! Should have known with how dried out my lips have been this last week.

It can be even more drying if you have your chins on shavings at this time of year. Right now, my barn is at around 28% humidity. I have no idea how it got that low, but I am checking feet because I use shavings. You're less likely to have an issue if you're on fleece. It just really seems to spring up on shavings for me.

Bag balm is bag balm as far as I know (also known as udder cream). I do believe it is made my several people. I stick with the green tin, which you can buy at Wal-Mart for a couple bucks. I'm pretty sure it also comes in a container that is white and black, like a cow, but I use what I've always used. You can also pop a vitamin E capsule and use the oil inside on their feet.

If you've got really dry feet, especially bleeding feet (not bumblefoot yet, but just from the lack of humidity), I would get them off shavings at least for a while and put them on either a fleece liner or a soft towel, something light so you can watch to see if the blood clears up. If it starts progressing towards true bumblefoot, then you'll also need to do this, but you'll need to get a specific scrub as well as antibiotics to clear it up.

I also only use the one in the green tin with the little floral pattern on it.

However there are many types of 'bag balm'. Where are my dairy people who were on here arguing about cow stomachs and how many bites they take? They should know all about this. Bag balm was designed to put on the udders of cattle that become chapped do to milking and many different companies make it. Some make just a straight vaseline based rub and some add scents, oils, antiseptics etc to it. I've seen some that was designed for women but sold as 'bag balm' that smelled like a fruit salad and thin as water, totally useless.

I use a lot of the older stuff. Anyone else still have rosebud salve?

Now then, if their feet look fine is it ok to put a little on as a preventative measure or just leave them alone?

Are there any big health concerns with them eating the bag balm? I just rub a thin layer on their hind feet and occasionally on the backs of their ears (when it's really dry) and I've noticed that they just sit in their cages and chew on their feet. So lately I've been putting it on just before playtime so that between me rubbing it in and them running around there isn't much excess left for them to consume. Does this make sense?

PS- For those of you who haven't used it before it's like $7-9 at walgreens but you don't need to use a lot so it lasts FOREVER (especially with only a few animals) Also works wonders on dry cracked human feet. Apply nightly before bed and sleep with socks on!:thumbsup:

As for ingesting. I have seen debate on that topic for years. I have read that one of the ingredients is toxic if it is eaten in large amounts. But there are a lot of things we eat/take daily that can be deadly if you ingest it in large amounts.

I've seen people post about their dogs getting hold of a tin and eating the whole thing with little effect (maybe some tummy upset). The important thing to remember is it doesn't take much Bag Balm to spread over a large area. It is used on cow's udders, dog's feet, etc. afterall. Most of the debates I've read end in that you don't use that much and it should be ok even if they lick it.

Spread it out, rub it in and wipe off any excess.

Latest posts

Back