Quads/vicious kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
Moderatr
Just thought I'd share a story, even though it seems like just another depressing thread. This one, though, is about how nasty kits can be to each other.

I have been caring for a friend's chins while she has some rental issues and I had quads born here about a week ago to a girl that I had sold her. (That makes me what? Great great grandma?) They were small -- really small -- none above 31. First time mom, seemed not so much overwhelmed, as not quite ready, so I wasn't sure if they were premies or not. They definitely weren't the fluffy, poofy babies you usually see.

There were three boys and a girl, and the little girl had lost all the toes on her back feet, apparently through a bad delivery. They weren't fighting, but they didn't seem to know how to nurse, so I started rotating and hand feeding, hoping for mom's milk to come in.

After a few days, I lost the little girl, despite both of us trying very hard. I can't help but think she had some sort of neurological damage, or possibly infection had set in because of the toes, because by the end she couldn't sit up at all. She would still eat from a syringe, bless her little heart, but she just never seemed normal after the first couple days. She was only 31 gm when she died. The ladies in chat were kind enough to listen to me while I cried over my failure to save her.

I also have two other mom's here in the house that are nursing younger kits, so I thought I would try a foster situation. Tanna is a wondrous foster mom that I have here, and her "baby" is 200 gm, so I knew she had to come out while the little one went in. Everything there went well (except they STILL wouldn't nurse, again confirming the premie thought). Tanna cared for them though, and as long as she would do that, it cut my work in half with not having to mess with the nether regions.

After a few days, I wasn't sure that Tanna had enough milk to support a couple newborns, since her baby was so much older and larger, so I decided to try to place them with their actual real grandma, the mom to their mom. She's a fantastic foster mom as well, and only had one kit a few days older than them, and she's easily raised triplets before. I knew she had a ready milk supply, so I put one little violet boy in with her. Everything was going well, both nursing, mom and dad are both fabulous with any and all babies, so I thought thank you God, I can sleep for a couple hours without getting up. Kyle stayed up to monitor until around 4 a.m., then he went to bed, with me planning on getting up at 6 to hand feed again.

In the space of 2 hours, after seeming to get along for 24 hours fine, the few day older kit turned on the little guy. Kits are positively vicious when they fight, which many breeders have tried to point out over and over again regarding the importance of keeping an eye on quads because of fights, but I'm not sure people realize quite to what degree they can do damage. My little guy, I'm almost positive, lost his eye. The entire side of his head was just solid blood, and I was able to get some cleaned off, but I was not wanting to keep messing with the eye, because if it is gone, I didn't want to keep opening it.

At first, I kept him with me, wrapped in a wash cloth so I could hand feed him every 15 minutes or so, rub him, and stimulate him. He was really shocky. After it seemed like he could at least sit up on his own, I put him back in with his real mom, put the other two in with Tanna, who is loving them to death, and prayed. So far, he's doing well. Mom got him all cleaned up, where I couldn't, and I do believe the eye is gone. He's gained 5 gm in a day with just him and mom all the time, and me hand feeding four times a day. I think he's going to be okay, but he now will be blind in one eye.

On the up side, all the kits are now gaining well, even the teeniest, who started out at 33, dropped to 28, and is now up to 34. We'll keep hammering away at it, rotating, hand feeding, etc. I'm grateful these three survived, but that little girl is sorely missed.

Oh Peggy I am sooo sorry for everything you are dealing with. It is horrid what kits can do to each other. I hope the kits eye is ok.

Sending prayers for all the little ones to pull through and be healthy, happy little bouncy kidlets.. :heart3:

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the little girl :( She got the best care anyone could give, and that's what matters :hug4: I never realized kits could be that rough... although we'll never breed, it's good to know. Best of luck with the remaining three little ones.

Oh Peggy I am so sorry you are having such a tough time with these litle ones. :(

Thank you for posting this as a warning to anyone who is considering (or is) breeding their chins. It is hard to imagine how horribly vicious teeny kits can be to one another - until you see it in person. It's such a shock when it happens and the injuries can be truly horrendous.

I really hope the little fella pulls through for you, Peggy.

So sorry Peggy, I know all to well the pain and work that goes into these little ones. Hugs

So sorry Peggy. I had two of my triplets turn on the little male and beat him up really good too so I know how mean those little boogers can be. Hoping things turn around!!

One of my standards had quads on the 30th of Dec. All kits were 50g other than one around 35g. All the kits were feeding so well before I went to bed that night. I woke up the next morning to the smaller kit covered in blood. The kits had attacked him and bit his face up so badly (the mouth area mostly) that he couldn't eat, nor would he open his mouth. I tried to hand feed him, but I couldn't even get his mouth open to feed. He would squeal each time I tried. He went into shock and I knew there was nothing more I could do, and he passed on day 2. I felt so bad and wished there was something I could do, but I at least now know not to leave all 4 in with mom at one time, I'm just not taking the chance. The trips that were left turned out great though.

My goodness.... Ive seen kits be mean to each other, but havent seen any be brutal! How are they doing now?

I, too have had quads be vicious (my first litter). There were 4 boys, 3 standards and 1 white. The white was the smallest. On day 5, one or more of the kits attacked the little guy. I found him with one entire side of his face in shreds. I couldn't tell if he still had his eye or not. I cleaned him up and began handfeeding the little guy. He ended up with one big scab that covered most of that side of his face. When the scab fell off, they eye was still stuck shut, but I could see that both lids were in tact so I tried soaking the eye with a saline soaked cloth. The lids opened and he still had his eye. The fur eventually grew back and he grew up to be a gorgeous little guy.

Peggy, I am sorry you had to deal with this. It's just horrible to experience it.:hug2:

Last edited:
I'm glad that you posted this because I was shocked with the same situation here over trips. There were two girls and one boy who was much smaller than the girls. It was a nightmare and i'll save you all from the details (if you'd really like to know the details you can PM but it's nature at it's worst for sure). But one or all of the girls (two kits and mother were the only others in the cage) mutilated the much smaller male kit. I wasn't sure that he'd have made it to adulthood anyhow, but this type of event is what balances the happiness with heartache. It's not all fun and babies, as well as it's not always horrible. These are the reasons that I suggest people with one or two chins don't breed them. Because even though your chances of losing them are small, you do run the risk of having problems that might make you lose your adult chin. Not that it is a hard and fast rule, but that losing one when you only have two probably hurts more than those of us with many others to care for during the sadness. I'm hoping that this post is understandable to everyone although I know that it's hard to convey messages without the context of a conversation. I guess I'm just trying to say that losing one of two chins impacts you more than losing one of many. Of course we all have favorites (don't tell them that) and chins that would overwhelm us with sadness if we lost them, i'm just saying that it's easier for me to deal with loss when I've got so many other chinnies vying for my attention when i'm upset. I really do hope you all get what I'm saying, but if you'd like clarification you can pm so that I can clear it up. I'm not making any rules up, nor am I saying that losing a chin isn't sad. - Jessica

He's doing well now. He's in with mom 24/7 and I fostered out his two larger brothers to another mom. She takes care of their functions, I take care of their eating. :)

Latest posts

Back