baby on flying saucer???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessonehundred

I finally got a new flying saucer wheel in the mail today. soo excited. i have a mom and baby chin ( about 7 weeks old. ) i installed the saucer and waited and watched. the baby tried a few times, jumping on and off, then he just sort of sat on it while it swayed back adn forth a while.
the baby then tried running, but she keeps flying off the wheel. i got a standard wheel. is this too big for her?
the mom hasnt tried it yet
if anyone has experience with baby chins in bigger flying saucers, im curious as to whether she will have to grow bigger to use it properly, or maybe she just isnt used to it yet?

Kits should not have access to flying saucers or any exercise wheel. Not only are they too light to use it properly, they can get seriously injured from it.

I had a flying saucer when i got my first boy and he was about 9 weeks old. He was so cute on it, he would start running and then fling off. After watching him a few times i decided to take it out because i just knew he was going to get hurt. So I bought a chin spin. Well the chin spin was brand new so it wasn't broke in and he was too light to spin it. So he had to put on some weight before he would spin the chin spin, lol!! But i would say a definate no for the flying saucer at such young age.

Your baby chin will be entertained enough with a couple of low positioned ledges in the cage, but if he's still with mom then even that's not a good idea because she could accidentally jump on him like with a wheel.

Read the instructions that came with it. I believe they recommend a chin be at least 12 weeks old to use the wheel safely.

ETA: This is straight from the Meadowbrook Chinchillas website, "We recommend removing the wheels just prior to an expected delivery date because the adults can generate very high wheel speeds. If a new born kit is exploring and an adult starts up the wheel, the kit may be thrown off the wheel and injured. Reintroduce the wheel at weaning when kits are at least 3 months old. At the point in time the kits have good jumping skills and coordination."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back