Pellets and PDZ.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's weird. When I was using it (not anymore until I do more research on the free silica) my chins coats looked great and no clumping at all.

Well ace just got back with me and they said it was dis-continued? Anyone know anything about that? Also they are supposed to get back with me with what they are replacing it with? I'm wondering if it would also be safe for the chinnies to use?

Ace may have discontinued carrying it. It is used to clean up oil spills and such. Probably found a cheaper contractor to go with. Often they use fuller's earth based products (kitty litter), so it depends on the product as to wether or not it is safe for chins.

I thought it was used in horse stalls? I didn't know it was used for cleaning oil spills? Is that safe?
All I know is she said it was dis-continued? Maybe they (you guys that are still seeing it) are just getting rid of what is on their shelves and won't carry it anymore??? IDK......it could be they are just idiots here too. Just thought i'd check tho to see if anyone else heard anything

I thought it was used in horse stalls? I didn't know it was used for cleaning oil spills? Is that safe?

It's used for a lot of things. Just like kitty litter is used for a lot of things other than kitties. :)) I was just guessing, but I'd use it for that if I had a spill. It's going to work the same.

Hmmm well i will have to post when they get back to me with the "new" stuff and see what everyone thinks.

Week two with the granular. Chins still look non-clumpy even though it throws out almost no dust. I stayed in there this time and while I could see a small poof every once in awhile it really doesn't do much of anything.

I'm guessing it works. They all still look good and the humidity had been very high.

Edited to say that both of the pictures I posted in this thread are of chins that had dusted less than 12 hours ago.

No retained particles on the tan or discoloration on the white.

Over three weeks and they still look fluffy. I'd say the granular is working very well on both the chins and my cat box.

Some people have asked about the pelleted bedding, here is the brand I use.

It's like beet pulp, the more moisture you put into it the bigger it expands. I only put 3C in my cages, any more and it grows out into the others. Obviously I don't wet it, I let the chins do that. :p

Wait so the granular stuff works? I thought it had to be the dust.

It doesn't have to be a dust, there are lots of sand products out there too. If you're showing a dust will tend to keep the coat nicer, but this appears to do the job equally well.

There was worry that the dust contained free silica which has been known to cause breathing problems.

So I decided to try the granular variety. :))

I had to stop using it - my chins just look horrible with it, at least in my opinion. I noticed my standards looked the absolute worst, had a brown look to them. I went back to Blue Cloud, and they all look like they're back to normal. I am using the PDZ in the bottom of the pans though.

The jury is still out here. It seems I need to dust them more frequently with the PDZ but I am using the powder. we will see though I still haven't made up my mind. I do know I like the blue cloud better but this might be fine for my breeders

If blue cloud goes extinct, why not just use Blue Sparkle, just curious since it will at least keep the chins grey and it has no free silica.

Thanks for reporting guys, Blue Cloud is probably the superior product, but for non-show this is working pretty well.

I'm going to set up a photo box and see if if has changed their color any vs. the pictures I took three months ago.

I noticed the color difference from using my show lights - I couldn't tell a difference in my light box though. I think it's fine for using if you're not going to show, but I'm just more comfortable with the Blue Cloud - as 1-2 dustings a week work fine with it, whereas the Blue Sparkle and PDZ I have to dust 3-4 times a week with, and they still look horrible.

My show lights are 2' above the box, but I just realized I had the red eye reduction setting on. It forces a green flash so the pictures are green tinted, oops.

Will try again tomorrow. Besides a couple in priming the rest still look good.

My barn ranges between 50-70% humidity, and I only dust once a week by putting a couple TBS on the floor of the cage. They're holding up really good for going on three weeks, that's why I assume it's working.

Attachments

• Chin.jpg
    Chin.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 15
Is the horse bedding just pine pellets? Does it smell like pine? I had seen those a while ago but didn't think it would last me that long. I recently switched to yesterdays news and like it but still kinda expensive.

Could you use the granular pdz as litter? I know there used to be blue cloud litter of some sort in the past.

I use the PDZ every other time now. It does not work as well as BC, but it does work ok. I agree though, you need to dust them more and to me, time is more valuable than money sometimes. Dusting 115 chins with 10 dust bath houses takes a few hours at best usually half a day! I need tip in dusters and a watering system one of these days!

Back