Pellets and PDZ.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, the PDZ is the dust you see. I'm using it instead of blue cloud.

Pellets are Guardian horse bedding and made out of white woods.

I have a question about 'horse bedding' I call my food supplier about whether they had the guardian. They said they didn't carry it but that they carried ABM horse bedding. They claimed it was the same thing as the guardian. I did a internet search for the ingred. of both. Guardian is made of compressed pine and ABM is made of compressed 'white woods' Whatever that means. Is the ABM ok to use with chins???:hmm:

You could try contacting the company to get a list of the exact woods they use. Most common white woods are safe.

Quick question.. with the PDZ being brown, does it put any color on coats? I have two white chinchillas and even though they aren't for show, I don't want them brown! lol

Hasn't done anything to mine yet, though I expect it'll be turning them purple shortly.

Just kidding. No, it's not going to stain anything. Might want to wait on trying it though, to see if we all die or explode from using it. :p From what people have been saying should only take a couple of months.

Hahahah well I trust it with horses, I don't think it'll hurt to add it to my chinchillas pans for extra odor absorption.

Oh that is awesome. Thanks. I am definately going to have to buy some and try it. Blue cloud has been impossible to find here and it is getting expensive having it shipped all the time.

I just started using the PDZ about a month ago for my boys (and now for Suki...poor girl hand the chinchilla "dust" that came with the dusthouse...some people). I love what it does!!! Before, I was using the Kaytee dust (some people indeed...), and it worked okay, but I really wanted to get something a little better. It was too much of a hassle to get Blue Cloud (I'm a poor, lazy college student...) but the PDZ is sold at the hardware/feed store just down the road! Woohoo!!! My boys are so plush now, and Suki's getting there. The one thing I don't like about it is that they smell dusty for a couple of days after dusting, but I can live with that.

Is this sold at feed stores or somewhere like Tractor Supply? I am now curious to try it.

Or if you have an ACE hardware that also has a feed warehouse, or a Conoco with a feed store...although, the Conoco/feed store combo may only exist in Montana...

Lol i went into my ace hardware and asked if they had it and they acted like i was on crack. Then when i asked them to order it for me, i got some more strange looks. Their supposively going to check with their boss and call me tomorrow so we'll see. I might go try the feed stores here in town too. Hopefully i will get it, i'm crossing my fingers

I've only used it for a few days and I don't think I really like it. Their fur feels so hard and stiff with it. I notice white particles falling out of their fur, which of course can't be very good if you're going to show. I tried to comb one of my girls and couldn't get one comb through her because her fur was so stiff! So, I'm not too sure how I feel about it.

I've only used it for a few days and I don't think I really like it. Their fur feels so hard and stiff with it. I notice white particles falling out of their fur, which of course can't be very good if you're going to show. I tried to comb one of my girls and couldn't get one comb through her because her fur was so stiff! So, I'm not too sure how I feel about it.

Has any one else noticed this? Im still scared to use it :( what other bad things are there with it?

I've not noticed it, but I don't handle my chins directly after dusting regardless of dust because it dries out my hands.

The white particles are normal, with blue cloud you get blue particles, that's why you never dust right before a show, most give 4-7 days for it to fall out of the fur.

Like blue cloud it leaves a layer of dust all over everything. I'm not thrilled that it makes everything light tan, but that's life.

As far as stiffness while trying to comb... not experienced it, but if you're really unhappy the store you got it from should take it back and refund your money.

Ok, if you see white particles in the fur, it means you got the granular (sand) instead of the dust. I just picked some up today to try.

Back