Pellets and PDZ.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoof

Kung Fu Chinny!
Here's pictures of using pellets and PDZ for those who've asked. And the three most common questions;

Q: Do the pellets hurt feet/cause calluses/damage
A: Not that I've seen, they don't cover the entire floor and expand once wet.

Q: Do they eat them?
A: Yup, just like they eat my steel cages and wood shelves, but no more than normal shavings.

Q: Do they cause impaction since they expand?
A: (knock on wood) I've never had an impaction in my herd. Neither has Ronda who's been using them for over five years.

The amount in the cages is a liquid 2C measurer full. Probably 2.5 cups total. By the end of the week only half of the pellets are expanded.

Attachments

• CagePellets1.jpg
    CagePellets1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 169
  • CagePellets2.jpg
    CagePellets2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 144
May I ask what they are made of? And what is PDZ? Is it like yesterday's news?

Oops, the PDZ is the dust you see. I'm using it instead of blue cloud.

Pellets are Guardian horse bedding and made out of white woods.

I'm not a fan of PDA's, when I see people on them it makes me want to grab it and smash it into the floor. Particularly windows based ones... :D

Loving the PDZ, it is an incredible deodorizer. I throw a TBS in there once a week and even with the humidity spiking to 80% in the mornings I don't have a clumpy looking chin in the barn. Wish I'd discovered it sooner!

And what exactly is the PDZ, and where did you get it?

PDZ is a volcanic type dust that is used as a stall freshener. It's very safe, but brown.

It doesn't go airborne as much as blue cloud which helps some people with allergies.

Ohyea, you can get it at any Purina dealer and many ranch and tack stores.

PDZ is a volcanic type dust that is used as a stall freshener. It's very safe, but brown.

It doesn't go airborne as much as blue cloud which helps some people with allergies.

Ohyea, you can get it at any Purina dealer and many ranch and tack stores.

Thank you! I will have to try some of this!

sorry, the iphone turned PDZ into PDA.

http://www.sweetpdz.com/index.html

Personally I am using Sweet PDZ original powder as a dust for my breeders and am very happy with the results(been using it a couple months). Being brown it is not a replacement for blue cloud for show animals, but for breeders it seems to be great, and I can get it local for $8-10 for 50#. The make a granular version, which is too coarse, the original powder is what you want as it has a consistancy very similar to blue cloud.

I like it as well so far. I've been using it a couple weeks, after talking with Tara and Jeff, and it is working well here. It's far less dusty (for those with asthma) and does a very nice job on their coats. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper, and a heck of a lot easier to get my hands on. So, I'll be saving the blue cloud for special occasions, and the PDZ for every day use for a while. As long as it continues to do a decent job, then I'll keep using it.

I thought that PDZ was the stuff used in stalls! I never would have thought it could be used for dusting but it makes sense! We use sweet PDZ at the farm I work at - I'll have to keep that in mind when we go through more than 50lbs of dust in a year :lol:

Would that PDZ be like crushed limestone type sand I've seen sold for chinchillas?

If you look on the page it tells you it is a Zeolite, not limestone.

They only come in 40# bags, read the label you guys. :p

Harley - I use it for both.

I thought that PDZ was the stuff used in stalls! I never would have thought it could be used for dusting but it makes sense!
That's what got me started on it, I was asking around for lime and the barns here don't use it - they use this. I'd brought some home to try, but didn't start using it until I moved my chins out of the house. Turns out it is far safer than lime.

I love my Sweet PDZ! I use it as an add in in my litter box as well. Keeps the smell down to nothing. My chins look great and I can get it local which just makes my day. Yay for Sweet PDZ!

So this just replaces regular dust bath? SO i would just put it in the bath house instead of blue cloud or w.e and do the exact same?

Back