Arlington TX - CHIN PICS

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think my black velvet may be a little older than the others because he is a little bigger.
Rick said there were 3-4 already there when these came in so who knows.
The standards are smaller than the other two.

The standards were a little standoffish in the beginning last night but then they were curious.
I guess they figured I wasn't going away so they might as well check me out. :)
When I get in the bed they come to the edge of the cage and watch me.
They are getting used to my voice a little.

I'm dying ot take them out for playtime but am waiting:impatient:

Here's Baby JackJack. He's quite the cuddler!

JackJack.jpg

Really! He was so cranky here. :p I am glad to see he has come around. :)

My ebony is as well, once you can get him out of the cage. He layed on my arm for a good 30 minutes.

Picture.jpg

I tried to put him back in the cage and he kept jumping back on to my arm. Such a sweetie.

Last edited:
My girls are a lil cranky too. One is smaller than the other. Gracie is the bigger one she has got a wet spot around her vagina, Faith is the smaller one she is ok.Is there any other ones that wont bath. I left it in the cage about 2 hours. Faith bathed but not Gracie so I tried to rub some on her to try to see if the spot would come off so I could see if it was a stain or new. I will keep an eye on it.

My trio all sleeping on a ledge. I swear the 3rd one is in there it's just hard to see.

And also the trio all happily eating. The big standard is getting a whisker trimming tonight though because she tends to squeak at the others when eating even though there are 3 bowls to eat out of, everyone has to go to the same one. I am thinking about moving the other coop cup to the corner so that it is another one that is on the easier level to get to as they seem to forget about that large wooden shelf a lot.

I have one that has occasional very small poops and I have no idea who it is. I have seen all of them with larger ones so it isn't all the time. I watched Jewel the beige the first night as she was the explorer and saw hers on the top shelf where she was first to get to. Last night took out both standards. The smaller one is being named Violet. She took a lap around the bathroom and 3 good poops. Took the bigger one out who is more standoffish with me and pooped a good one as soon as I was holding her so I didn't bother to let her run as it would be too stressful for her to try to catch again. I see all 3 eating hay and pellets and drinking.

Attachments

• 002-r.jpg
    002-r.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 003-r.jpg
    003-r.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 004-r.jpg
    004-r.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 005-r.jpg
    005-r.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 72
Michelle--I decided to put two food bowls AND two water bottles in the boys cage. The second water bottle was because they didnt seem to be getting the first one, but now they do and I notice they drink out of both. One of the boys is definitely the "boss" but only the first night did I hear a little chirping. For the most part they do their own thing.
Been dying to catch them both in the hammock, but it seems the boss put his claims on it, so I have another hammock I am going to put in for the the other guy.

Queen bee was still being protective of something last night I think the ledge and chew toy. I didn't get around to the whisker trim as I started doing chin work too late last night. Was woken up to her kacking. Wound up having to throw her in a cat carrier in the cage over night. When I get home her whiskers are the first thing I do. She hates me I am sure since she is the least handable but that 'tude must go...or seperation.

She was being boss over food with 3 food bowls out. Everyone had to eat from that one bowl so I moved one to the semi same area and that helped with food. I will get this straightened out. I know I can do it. She hasn't done any chasing or fur pulling to anyone just the stand tall and make noise so I have hope this can be straightened out.

Last night I was a little late with their pellets (they had plenty of hay), so when I put them in, there was a lot of chirping and standing up tall. Basically they took turns. Afterward, they both went into their grass house and slept snuggled up. We're keeping an eye on them, but there was no spraying or chasing, so that's a good sign.

Here's Baby JackJack. He's quite the cuddler!

JackJack.jpg

Jack Jack is the chin that my boyfriend fell in love with the night they arrived in NOLA, he had to hold him (he thought he was a she) while we got a cage ready, he just snuggled in the crease of his arm. It was funny to see a grown man melt then ask me like a child "What is one more? Look how sweet" :hilarious:

Baby Jack Jack has the CUTEST little feet ever!!

Lady snuggles into me just like Essentia's ebony. Neither of my other chins are snugglers so I hope she stays that way. Last night I turned the light off to sleep and Lady started barking. I'd get up to check on her and she'd be fine. We went back and forth like this for awhile until I pulled her out of the cage. Then she slept in my arm for 30 min or so. I'm afraid she's training me VERY quickly.:wacko:

Nola and Nora

I haven't posted about my rescue girls yet but here I go.

First is Nola, a medium ebony. She is settling in nicely and allows me to scritch her through the bars. She seems to be a nice, calm chin and will make someone very happy when she's ready to go to her permanent home.

Then I have Nora, a beige. She is fiesty and very nervous. When she was in her transport crate she tried to bite my finger whenever I presented it to her to sniff. I wondered how I was going to get her out of the crate and into the cage. Kristy took her out of the crate and as soon as Nora came out of the crate she lost her attitude and permitted some scritches to her chin. When I got her home, as soon as I opened the crate she was out the top and running. I had to catch her to get her in the cage. She is skittish and nervous and runs to hide whenever she sees movement near the cage. But she seems to be getting used to us little by little. She occasionally allows scritches through the bars. Even though she began with some attitude, she is a very loving, gentle chin.

I have not really handled either of them yet as they have just been through so much and I wanted to let them calm down and get used to their new environment. They are both eating well, enjoying unlimited hay and hay cubes and transitioning over very nicely to Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe pellets. They get apple sticks, pumice, bamboo shredders, lava bites and home made hanging toys. They are both beautiful chins and I will post some pictures in a week or so. Both girls will be looking for permanent homes after they get a little more rest and relaxation here at my house. Soon I'll be starting to handle them a little and try to renew their faith in human beings. I do believe they are going to grow up to be a couple of big, beautiful girls.

Pictures to follow in a few days.

Great pics and updates. That pic of Jack Jack is just too cute. Is he younger than the rest or is it just the pic?

I don't know, Carol Anne. He seems to be 4-5 months old? He's skittish too--makes a mad dash into his hidey house any time someone is near. But he looooooooves to cuddle!

He was about the same size as mine, tiny. My black velvet and ebony are 393g (ebony) and 398g (black velvet). I haven't weighed the standards yet since they are still pretty skittish, but they are all about the same size.

I haven't weighed mine, either. But I should and will soon. I usually weigh any new animal before I even put them in their cage for the first time but I just couldn't with these rescues.

I weighed my boys this weekend.
The standard is 410g and the lite eb is 387g.
The lite eb is much more friendly and always comes to the front of the cage but the standard, while friendly is a little more stand offish. both sweet boys. seem to get along well.

Reading all of these glowing reports makes me think that some of these chins may have already found their furever homes...;)

You could not pry my two new girls away from me!! Since RJ and I try to only take on chins who are no longer wanted, we haven't found many ebonies or black velvets. These two girls are perfect, and I can't wait to watch them grow up!!

:)

Pics coming shortly. Waiting for Nova's nose to get a little better! ;)

I just read this thread and I'm so glad that these chins have found a home.
Just out of curiosity, some of the bonded chins, were they already bonded at the breeding facility from where they were confiscated or they were only bonded afterwards?

Back