Working out some customized cage ideas...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Aneesa's Muse

Since I have the girls ..and Phoenix will be okay'ed to move into a normal sized enclosure very soon, I have been brainstorming some ideas for custom built cages. Phoenix will remain in our bedroom ..and I'm thinking the girls can remain in The Room or maybe the livingroom.. maybe. (I'm running out of rooms, actually ..the bRats can't share a room with the majority of my scale'y kids ..just too weird and possibly traumatizing, I think. Not sure how the Chin'kids tolerate it, but they aren't really "seeing" them, anyway.)

So anywho... I'm thinking of building some wall units of some sort. Maybe units that run along an entire wall or two, even ...with all kinds of branches/perches ..and several doors (to make easy access for them to come and go when I'm working in there ..and to be able to clean without hinderance). Mind you, with wall unit type enclosures ..they will be longer rather than taller ..but I still want to make them, at least, 3' tall (or more), to allow for jumping and bouncing, hanging hammocks and so on...

....but how wide would be ideal? Is 15" or 18" enough space? Should it be wider? How wide should the ideal space be? Hopefully, not ridiculously wide ..or I won't be able to support the weight. (I'm trying to avoid using floor space ..so the enclosure will be suspended ..safely... to the wall, above the floor.)

I'm just brainstorming at this point, so I'm open to constructive opinions and suggestions.. Thanks! :wink3:

Im trying to envision what you are describing and can't figure it in my head...when you say 15-18" wide do you mean deep here instead?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean either. Whether you mean wide or deep, I would go with as large as you can. I mean I know chins like vertical space, but that doesn't mean their cage should be a small width just so it can be tall... A chin is about... what... 8 inches? (not including tail) so 15" wide or deep just isn't very big. I personally like the quality cage-type dimensions, which are 24" inches wide and 24" inches deep. Enough so they have room and can stretch out...

Another thing that's sort of confusing me is you're saying they'll be longer rather than taller... so then that makes me think you mean deep, not wide...

I think I get the general idea of what you're trying to accomplish... but I'm just curious... if you're going to have these large cages somehow attached to the wall (would love to know how that's going to be done, I just can't imagine), suspended above the floor... I mean I get that does save floor-space, but I'm not sure exactly how useable that floor space underneath the cages would be. I mean if the cages stick out 18" from the wall, then unless you use underneath for storage or something... I dunno, I just foresee trying to move stuff from under those suspended cages and always standing up and bumping your head.

Another thing. (I'm not trying to be mean or say this wouldnt work, this is just stuff I'm thinking of). What do you plan on making these cages out of? I ask, because if theyr'e gonna be a few feet in the air, suspended off the floor, there is gonna be chin poo EVERYWHERE. Again, this is another problem I see...cause while you will have the floor space under the cages free....everything under/near the cages would liekly be covered in chin poos/dust/hay and so it's not like you could use the floor space for anything that had to stay super clean or anything...

Just some thoughts....maybe if you try to explain what you're trying to do a little better people will have more ideas...

I am brainstorming ideas ..and I explained my ideas as best I could, I think. I want the floor space free ..poo slingin' or not... so I can store bins there.

It was just a thought and I was looking for the feedback I got from greychins ..but from more folks... so I accomplished something with this thread. ;)

Oh.. and depth and width are the same thing ..just different words. Height, length, depth or width.. see?

Thanks!

I'd probably recommend 24 inches wide. I know you want to save space underneath for storage etc, but could you build an enclosure with storage underneath? Maybe if you have someone handy, with drawers, or cabinet doors that open up? I think the weight would be tricky, at least if you use melamine. What type of material do you plan on using? There is 1/2 melamine vs the heavier 3/4 if weight is a concern.

I was thinking 24" would be minimal, after looking into it further ..and watching my 3 goofballs when they play. Of course, even wire and a frame would make that too heavy to be secure on the wall ...so I'm leaning back toward FN's for both ...Phoenix in one ..'Sid and Palay in the other.

I can still have play space for them above the floor.. just have to figure it out. I've been looking at those outdoor cat run tunnel things and thinking I may be able to rig up one of those for them to romp and stomp through ..but still be contained enough to not knock my art supplies off shelves or get into anything they think may be edible :sick:

Again, I am brainstorming ideas here. I will not endanger any of them in any way, shape or form ..whatsoever. Just thinking it through... and sort of "out loud" :wink3:

I just need a bigger house or another bedroom or both! I thought when my kids moved out to go to college ..I'd have more space ..haha! Silly me...

Another possible thought for you - if you are just wanting to store supplies under the cages, and that was your reason for lifting them up off the ground, maybe just get some long tables and make/buy cages to sit on those. That's how we have our chin-room set up, long 6 or 8 foot tables, cages (even QC mantions, and we don't have a high ceiling by any means) sitting on top of the tables. All the room under the tables can be (and is) used for storage, and no worrying about suspending cages.

We just made sure the tables we bought could bear a decent amount of weight, and they work great. Easy to clean the surface of, keep the cages off the ground without the need for buying individual stands....

This is an older picture, almost all these cages have been replaced with QC's since this picture was taken, but it gives you the basic idea...
chinroom1large.JPG

That's a great idea, greychins.. much safer, sturdy'er (?) than hanging all willy nilly off the wall. This allows more open space underneath than FN's do, also :thumbsup:

See.. brainstorming with others is so much more fruitful ...more heads, more knowledge...

No depth and width are not the same thing that is why I was confused. Depth is how far you can reach your hand into the cage...not how long the front panel of the cage is which is width. That is why dimension measurements read height x width x depth.

I agree that the material you build with will be the biggest concern. Melamine would be really hard to hang without a lot of support. What if you just build a stand for the cage to sit on and put doors on it? Kind of how an aquarium stand operates...but bigger. Then you wouldnt have to look at whatever you are storing...

I think the ferret nations are nice cages and then you will have the 2 cages on top of each other and that will save space instead of 2 different cages.
My cages are 30 tall x 24 wide x 24 deep. And that is perfect size for 3 chins!

The FN 142 does not allow for any free space underneath ...and two of those beasts will take up a LOT of space, overall.

As for "hiding" anything underneath my cages ..that's not my goal. I want my floor space clear for other reasons, too.

I appreciate the ideas, but I don't appreciate the demeaning or argumentative responses. You don't need to reply, if that's all you've got. Thanks. ;)

:hug2:In addition to Greychins idea, you could also buy some cheaper material to make "table cloths" to put over the tables. That way, you can "hide" whatever you wanted to store underneath and not be out for everyone to see. We keep our chijns in the dining room and I think I may look into doing this also. Great idea Greychins!!!:thanks4:
Kathy

Back