Will fur-chewing end?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teekachin

It seems that one of my girls has begun fur-chewing :confused2:

I don't know anything really about it, but from descriptions/pics I've looked at tonight, I'm quite sure that's what's happening.

My girls are mom and daughter, and now are 7 and 8 years old (the mom was unknowingly pregnant when I got her). I've moved 3 times in their lifetimes. But been at this place over 2 years and the chewing only started a few months ago. Life's been too busy for me these past months and I haven't been getting them out as much as usual - Bad Mommie, I know. That's changed as of this week though.

What do you all think... Could the fur-chewing possibly stop now that I'm back to getting them out to play as I used to?

Once fur chewing starts, it rarely stops. It becomes a bad habit they can't seem to break themselves of. It's really a shame that she started chewing when she was an older gal. You would have thought she would be well past the starting point.

I've had some people tell me they have had success with adding a teaspoon of Gold Bond powder to the chins dust bath, maybe a 50'ish% success rate. It certainly won't hurt her to try. Try giving lots of toys, and maybe you're right, and the play time will help again. Also see if anything has changed in the environment. Louder noises, more traffic, etc., and try to eliminate them.

I have a fur chewer, and I'm pretty sure its a reaction to stress, but once she starts it is hard for her to stop. We were able to change the environment that was stressing her (neighbors had a dog that barked all day and we moved) and that helped for a little while. But anytime something new stresses her, it's right back to chewing.

I take in a rescue every now and then, and have had both fur chewers and sprayers. Seems like once they get here, after a few of weeks of good food, fresh oxbow hay, the occasional shreddie, and Lifeline 2-3 times a week, they slow down, and stop.
It's been said that it's hereditary, and never breed a furchewer, [which I don't] but when they are adopted out, I've told people what to watch for, and haven't heard of it coming back.
In your case, she might just be from a furchewing line, since you don't know much of her background and can only do your best to stop it. I'd change her cage around and maybe get her some toys, chew blocks and maybe apple sticks to keep her occupied when you're not around. More attention and more "out time" wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

You can also use Tinactin or Desenex powder. Sprinkle some in her dust bath or directly on her fur. It won't hurt her. I agree with Tunes, most of the time they don't quit. I would think, starting this late in her life it would be more stress related than heriditary, but since you know nothing about her lines its impossible to be sure. Good luck with her.

I would say..its definitely related to some sort of stress. My chin bubba chews whenever there is a change. He chewed when we moved, changed his cage around, when we got another chin, when he didnt get enough play time, when we stopped letting the cats in the chin room (believe it or not...I think they kept him company?).... you name it. Although he stops chewing long enough for his fur to fill back in..and then starts again once he encounters his new dilema. o_O

When I got Bubbles, she fur chewed. Her hips/legs were nearly bald. She was in a VERY bad environment, in a cramped cage on the back porch, not even 20 feet from cages that had MONKIES. Not the little "Aww look how cute" I mean the baboon monkies...
When I got her here, it seemed like it took forever, but after the very first day, she stopped. Now most of her fur has grown back and she looks like a little fuzz ball.

I had a beautiful tan girl who suddenly started chewing later in life, and it was right after I removed her last litter from her, and her male was cut off as well.

I take in a rescue every now and then, and have had both fur chewers and sprayers. Seems like once they get here, after a few of weeks of good food, fresh oxbow hay, the occasional shreddie, and Lifeline 2-3 times a week, they slow down, and stop.
It's been said that it's hereditary, and never breed a furchewer, [which I don't] but when they are adopted out, I've told people what to watch for, and haven't heard of it coming back.
In your case, she might just be from a furchewing line, since you don't know much of her background and can only do your best to stop it. I'd change her cage around and maybe get her some toys, chew blocks and maybe apple sticks to keep her occupied when you're not around. More attention and more "out time" wouldn't hurt either. Good luck!

Really Rick? So you're saying that genetic fur chewers can pretty much be cleared up at your house, simply with good food (which most people have), Oxbow hay (which a lot of people use) and Lifeline? Interesting. You would pretty much have to be the only person in the country then with that kind of success rate.

Genetic fur chewing can not be cleared up. SOME chewing is illness?injury related (pain) that can be fixed, but genetic chewers are just hardwired to chew

I personally (in my limited chin experience) had not know about fur chewing. So it is a result from stress? It's not from boredom or from illness? And more stimulation - added toys, things to chew on, won't eliminate the problem? What a terrible ordeal for the chin...!

It can be from any of the above Jenn. Boredom, illness, stress, fear, or genetics - it's hard to tell exactly what triggers it, but almost everybody agrees that you can't "fix it."

As I stated before, you can try adding toys and some powder to their dust bath, but in some cases it just won't make a difference.

Thank you all for your responses! No, I don't know anything about her breeding - bought her from a pet store (before I knew about better places to get them) so who knows. I'll have to tell that story in Chin Talk!

I'm happily going to keep up the increased play time. They have both always seemed to love their cage and toys, but I'll rethink it too. Maybe not quite enough variety in toys, even though they get a good quantity? Plus, I'll try to figure out if I can move where their cage is... I've got a very small apartment, but I'll see what I can come up with.

I see the point about fur chewing being in her breeding &/or that it becomes a habit. So, I'll be realistic but also hope for the best... if I do all I can to decrease stress and increase fun, maybe she'll stop. Here's hoping!

As far as the Gold Bond and other powders... what does that do for them? I'm all for trying it, just curious. Luckily she doesn't chew down to the skin... it's more like a #3 buzz cut with the fashionable mohawk down her spine!!

Thank you again!

As far as the Gold Bond and other powders... what does that do for them? I'm all for trying it, just curious.

Honestly, the only thing I can think of it is tastes like crap and deters chewing. Medically it doesn't do anything for them.

Don't feel bad about buying from a pet store. They need loving homes too. :)

last year i acquired my first fur-chewer. paid a pretty penny for her too.

she started to chew a little over a month after she got here. moved her to a large cage in the house rather than the chinchilton and she stopped for a time. fur grew back nicely for the most part but she does chew some just not down to the skin the way she did before. when she started to chew she was about 7 or 8 months old. i am not sure if i should try giving her a cagemate but she is so timid i just don't know :rolleyes2:

Well, so far I have a happier chin with more play time out of the cage! Course, now she wants to get out every time I come near the cage!!

She does seem happier in many ways, so maybe this will do the trick and she'll stop fur chewing. If it stays as a habit... well, she's not a breeder or show chin and she doesn't chew down to the skin... so basically she just looks funny and will get papaya for treats!

If any problems come up, then I'll use the Gold Bond or move the cage or something. Here's hoping!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

Chinchildren, maybe someone will have some advice for you too :)

It is working! Her fur is almost fully normal again! So wonderful to see her turning back into her pretty self again :) Thanks again to you all for the advice

That's great news. Sounds like she was missing the attention.

I have a bit of a wierd chewer here. He was a rehome from my breeder as he needed a good home where he wouldn't be bred from. I was warned he chews when moved - and he did. he chewed his tail on the first, and the third night home and he hasn't done it since. He's not a nervous animal - although he did spend a night barking at my DVD player which was on standby - took me ages to figure out what was upsetting him.

He then just stopped. He comes from parents bred by one of the UK's top breeders, from chew free lines. He's a bit of a mystery, as I was expecting a nervous wreck and he's really bold!

I will be introducing him to my other lad in June, so it may start him off a little - but at least he seems to stop extremely quickly, by himself.

Back