WHS or Hibernation Attempt!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaFox

Animal Addict
I have a 4 year old hedgie, Renton. We've had him since he was just about 8 or 10 weeks old and has always been pretty healthy with one exception of an infection from a scratch a couple of years ago. But the past few times we got him out for a bath he will not uncurl for anything, until we put him in the water and than he starts to just spin in circles only using his front legs. We take him out of the water and he just curls up again. We've tried pieces of food, mealworms, nothing will get him out. I have recently heard him a few nights in his wheel though but when I go to check he stops. He'll get off his wheel and go under his log, still wobbling, but making it around okay. He has still been eating and drinking fine though. So I don't really think it would be a hibernation attempt, I'm leaning more towards WHS. Which saddens me :(

If there is anyone who has dealt with WHS, can you please tell me what happened to your hedgie? And if he ends up with total paralysis, did you choose to put them down or did you continue to care for them? He doesn't seem to be in pain but I want to be sure he is comfortable. There aren't any vets around here that treat hedgehogs, so I need all the help I can get from experienced owners. Thanks so much.

Typically curling up is not a symptom of WHS, in fact whs hogs are less likely to curl up because of the muscle involvement and atrophy that whs causes. It may be early stage whs but I'd rule out other things first.

Try upping the temperature a couple of degrees. It won't hurt and often as they age they require more warmth. It is the easiest thing to try to begin with.

Mobility issues are a symptom of illness and age as well so I suggest a vet visit to rule out any illness and check for arthritis and joint issues.

If it does prove to be WHS, once they reach the stage of severe mobility issues and unable to move to get food or water, it is kindest to help them cross. Supportive care can be used and there are some modifications that can be done to cages and bedding that will help him get around more. If he is still able to wheel, he is not ready for that yet.

Does he tip over when he walks and then do a paddling motion with his front feet to try and get up? Initial stages they tip over but can get up quickly. The time and difficulty it takes for them to get up increases to where they can't get up and they drag themselves around.

It is not easy knowing when it is time and you have to go by how he acts and if you feel he is still content and happy with his life. I've had one WHS girl and I let her go on far too long. I also had a boy that had similar symptoms but the differences were more in line with a stroke. I let him go on too long too. It's not easy.

At his age, I would also recommend a veterinary visit. How long ago did you first notice symptoms. Was it a sudden onset? Have they gotten progressively worse?

I ask because there are a variety of other things that can cause WHS like symptoms. A couple that come to mind are a tumor pressing on a nerve or even a stroke. I have met a couple of hedgehogs at shows that have had a stroke, both behaved differently. One was pretty normal except for a slight wobbly gait. The other didn't fair as well and had more paralysis in their hind legs.

I first noticed it probably about a month and a half ago. He wobbles, but doesn't fall completely over and can still get around fairly well for now. He's always been somewhat of a grump but he has never been so difficult to get out before. I don't think it's a leg injury because it hasn't had any improvement over the last month but it hasn't gotten any worse either which is a good thing.
He doesn't seem to be in any pain, I just worry about him. I've had to put down my dog three years ago and I would hate to go through that again. I hope it doesn't come to that and when his time comes it will just be natural and peaceful.

I will try getting him warmer and see if that helps. Thanks

I think he is doing much better now. I actually got him to uncurl for the first time in a while when I took him out today. He walked around on the floor a little bit, not much, but he wasn't quite as wobbly. He seemed to still move his back legs, so I don't know what the problem was in the water the past few baths. He still didn't walk that far, but better than swimming in circles ;)

Thanks for asking

Latest posts

Back