what is "normal" new chin behavior

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

I'm just curious. We got our new girl yesterday and I'm thinking she doesn't like me. Our other two would atleast come out to investigate if we stuck our hand in to do anything. She will hide in her house. If she's out and we walk in the bedroom she runs and hides and today I offered her a dust bath and she barked at me when I went to remove it.

We haven't handled her and besides a chin scratch when I put her in that's all the handling she's got. Is this normal? Our other two were better and would atleast sniff an outstretched hand she just hides. Also her ears are always flat to her head, does that mean she's scared?

Any helpful advice on how to befriend her when we try starting to handle her?

I have two new girls ..since Sunday last... and I have found that when I come "bearing gifts" ..they are much more receptive. Out of 3 or 4 times that I approach their cage throughout the day, I may offer a twig or a cheerio for ONE of those times ..and the other times, I just pretend I have something ..and give 'em a scritch when they come looking...

I'm a sneaky mommy... :)

Thank you. She has applewood and I also bought a ledge with hanging toys from the breeder so she isn't interested in getting chews and I do offer shredded wheat as a treat. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to offer her little hits of that every so often. She is eating her pellets ok. I'd say she ate a tablespoon yesterday and then probably the same so far today but she'll eat more probably during the night.

She is only 4 months old and I have read and was told by my vet not to offer treats until 6 months.

Last edited:
she may just be a little more shy then your other two... i would leavce her be for about a week of so... that way she can kinda get used to your routine and just watch.
That way she gets used to her surroundings before she gets messed with.

Thats all normal behavior. I would give her time to adjust first. Maybe leave her alone for a few days and then try sticking your hand in the cage and letting her come to you. She's probably just scared, being in a new, strange environment and all.

I have found that chinchillas have personalities that can vary greatly from one to another (I have the opposite sisters here for instance LOL). She may be totally different from your other chins and as you get to know her and vice versa you will learn what is "normal" for her :). Don't take it personally.

I took in a little guy thats been here for a few weeks now. It's pretty much normal to have nothing to do with you right away. As someone mentioned a treat or wood offering by hand is excellent. When they warm up to you a bit more I have also found that when adding hay I use my fingers and rustle the hay a bit like I am having a bite too. They come to investigate and "groom" your hand. For new chin owners they do bite all over you being gentle. A good groom. Tasting you, smelling you, pulling your clothes. That is a wonderful start as well. When I know the chin is not going to bite hard I offer my face for the smooch and a good eyebrow or eyelash groom. I've also noticed I have more then one chin here who likes to just sit on my hand before a groom. My hand stays in the cage as I don't want a chin leaping off the top of my hand standing near a cage. I will tell you also that I have one little stinker here who hates to be picked up or touched. She will teeth chatter at me and "kack". It's all a big show and she has never bitten. She was that way when she came here as a kit. It's been a year and she finally will come over to groom me for a second because her cage mate loves me.

She will get used to you in her own time. I agree that bearing gifts usually works. I generally talk to my chins when I am getting in their cages and seems to work. I just got a new pair about 3 weeks ago and the female was much more scared than the male but I just did whatever I needed to in the cage and talking and ignoring her. it worked and now she comes over to check me out but she isnt nearly as friendly as the male is.

Best to let her settle in first. If she is that shy, forcing yourself on her is just going to make it work. With my shy girl, I would read out loud by her cage everynight for the first week. When she had playtime I gave it to her in the bathroom (the smallest room in the house) so she was forced to explore me without me invading her space. Just sitting there readying or drawing while she ran about my legs etc.

She is still new, and she may be a little tense from the adjustment, so give it time and she should come around just fine:thumbsup:

She's just scared and shy. The suggestion of reading to her is a good one. so is offering treats. Since she is under 6 months old, you can offer hay, pellets or wood as treats. They think anything is a treat when it comes from your hand. It will take time, but she will overcome her shyness. Good luck with your new little one.

When we first got Spooky she barked every time I came near her cage for over a week. I think as said above, every chin will react to a new home differently, and it just takes some patience to earn their trust. I found that not standing over the cage helped tremendously with Spooky because she was afraid I was going to 'eat' her or pick her up, so eye level and lots of talking at first helped calm her down and get familiar with me.

My mosaic hated me for the first couple of months after I got him. He would give me the look of death everytime I walked into the room. Then suddenly he just stopped biting and now seems to love me. He's turned into a complete ham, always wanting attention and doing things to make you look at him. I guess he realized that I wasn't going to put him on a stick and roast him over a fire. So just give it time, they can go from hating you to loving you in no time.

I've had some chins that disappear into their hide house and then others that race around like they are on speed. I keep the new ones in the main room so they get used to hearing my voice but they get plenty of quiet since I'm in my office all day. Lots of time and patience and letting them do it on their own schedule is the way to go.

Back