Weird behavior? Too much sniffing?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orochirel

Hi, so Sam is like 4 months old or older... today I notice that Sam is been too busy smelling, sniffing, he havent even eat his food yet... I taked him out to explore and he just runs around to the normal places he used to explore, and biting magazines... then I put him back to his cage and starts the sniffing... He also climbs his cage, He dosnet event bother if im too near his cage, normaly he just stares at me and hide after a while... I know I should have a horizontal lines cage but I havent found one vertical... Im concerned

What do you mean by sniffing? Is he sniffing as in smelling things, or is he sniffing like with a runny nose? Is he sneezing?

Count the kibble you give him so you know exactly if he is eating any. Try putting some in his bed with him. Often they will eat if food is in bed.

Does he have a wheel? Cage climbing often happens when they are bored.

He's smelling... like smelling something... Now he is sleeping, cause is day... I dont want to wake him up. But I found that he has eat again, there is less food than last night, last night he was so busy smelling and smelling that he didnt eat.

He has a wheel... but it is too small. Im going to buy him a big one when I find a bigger cage with vertical thingys so he cant climb... he is growing up :hmm: need a bigger cage

Also here in my city I cant find nice wheels... the one that I found big enough for him is for ferrets. I will buy him that one when I get a bigger cage

100_1356.jpg

He is Sam !

I'm a little concerned about my Rosie too. She had an URI when I first got her, and although she finished her antibiotics she continues to sniff and nose-lick a lot. She also sneezes a little bit still. I know her behaviors are mostly normal, but she's my first hedgehog so I'm still not familiar with what is "too much."

For Sam - sniffing is pretty normal. Keep an eye on how much food he is taking in. Once he has an appropriate wheel, he will likely also eat more (so it is best to get one soon). Obviously keep an eye out for sneezing or mucous. Mucous=vet visit now.

For Rosie - a follow up vet check might be a good idea. Otherwise just keep an eye on her, keep her temperature nice and warm (76F). She may have a weakened immune system for a bit as she clears the antibiotics out of her system. Also, some hedgies are prone to sneezing and sometimes this is caused by the substrate you may have her on. I recommend liners washed in unscented and phosphate-free laundry soap.

Thank you for your answers ! =)

Sam is normal today... he is like other days, just the normal sniffing, not so crazy like the other night... and he is ok with his food, he dosent eat to much and I take him out of his cage once in a while for him to be active. He runs very fast.

I will search for the best wheel in town for him

Latest posts

Back