Warning calls?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CerLynn

Kenai has occasionally been making a call that I have yet to identify. I listened to all the calls/sounds on that one site, and it doesn't really sound much like any of them. It starts with a single kack followed by what I can only describe as a slow-motion airy squeaky toy type noise. He's not wheezy in any other way, so I'm pretty sure it's not a respiratory issue or anything. Sometimes it's just one, other times its a sequence of up to 5 or 6 "squeaky toy" calls. Most of the time I find him hiding under his chin spin when he does it, so I'm guessing it's a type of warning call? One time was cute though... I was sitting in front of his cage with the door open giving him some scritches and attention, and Scott comes in and sits down on the bed (Kenai is quarantined in the bedroom) and Kenai starts making the calls at him... silly boy.

Yes, it sounds like a warning call or a "bark". Chins can have different sounding barks. I can tell several of my boys apart just by hearing their bark when I'm in the other room.

Marble make warning calls every day in the mid afternoon that sound sort of like that. The odd thing is that it's roughly at the same time everyday. I wonder what he hears because it's totally quiet during that time seeing as my little boy is napping during that time.

Tinkerbell will be hiding in her tunnel when she'll make kind of a higher pitched hooting sound over and over. As best as I can tell, this is a warning call. She'll do it maybe once a month and she's always in hiding when she does it. Not sure why they do it, though. It just seems to come out of the blue.

One of our chins does that high pitch squealing noise when he wants extra attention. If I am with another chin and have not said hello to him first, he lets me know it! As soon as he gets a chin rub and some kisses he is fine.

It sounds like a bark to me. All of my boys sound different when they bark or make warning calls. They sound so different that I can tell who is barking.

I call it the 'mommy bark' when I hear it from Spooky. She'll do it at the same time everyday if I'm not home right on time - my roommate says it sounds so sad and that she's crying for mom.

I call it the 'mommy bark' when I hear it from Spooky. She'll do it at the same time everyday if I'm not home right on time - my roommate says it sounds so sad and that she's crying for mom.

That's so cute! I wish my boys missed me that much!!! Haha

That is the exact noise Tinkerbell makes and it is finally nice to hear it rather than trying to figure out through a description if it is the same noise. Thanks for posting the link! The comment under the video says it is one chin calling for another? So does that mean our little friends are lonely and wanting companionship?

Templeton does that too, but only when he is asleep. My mother thinks he is having a bad dream when he does it...do chinchillas dream? I think it's been proven that horses do, so I wonder if it's the same?

That's still not the sound Kenai makes... his is really odd! I swear, it sounds like someone slowly squeezing one of those squeaky squeeze toys. Hopefully there aren't any underlying medical issues that are making his calls sound so odd...

During the day a couple times a week one of the chins is dreaming and calls out the alarm. I just tell them from the other room that is everything is alright. And they go back to sleep.

i thought you described a sound Buckie makes in the mornings when its quiet. It's usually when im in the living room though. But after listening to the clip I realized he is actually making a very different kind of fading foghorn sound. but only in the mornings. anyway, i think i just scared the crap out of Fatty when I listened to the sound....quickly tried to find a more calming chin sound....to which he also responded with a look like "what is wrong with you?"

sorry...i felt the need to share the goofy moment.

I just got my first chinchilla two days ago and he makes a very strange call. It is very loud and sounds more like a parrot than anything I have heard so far from this site. He was hiding under the chair when he did it so I am assuming it was a warning call. I have heard him make this sound about a year ago when my friend owned him as well. Either way it was very impressive. It was loud enough to hear in the apartment next door.

Back