Want to litter train my chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

I have a glass pan for her to pee in, but how do i prompt her to pee in it? I cant put anything that she has alrdy peed on in there because i cant find where she is peeing.

to find out where she is peeing, you can put some paper towels under her bedding....then you can put the pan there

i didn't do it this way...for me, i found where they peed, then took the pee-shavings and put it in the litter pan....after a while, they just started peeing in the pan =D

You may just want to put the pan in. If there is only pine (or what ever) bedding in the pan and not in the rest of the cage she maybe more tempted to use the pan.

If you can't find were she is peeping, are you sure she is drinking enough? Sometimes when a chin is stressed from say a move they don't drink as much as they should. I don't know if this works with all chinchillas but I added 1 part unsweetened apple juice to 3 parts water when Nyx first came home and wasn't drinking much. It not only got her to drink more but made her urine really smelly. Might help you find where she is peeping.

Good luck!

You may just want to put the pan in. If there is only pine (or what ever) bedding in the pan and not in the rest of the cage she maybe more tempted to use the pan.

If you can't find were she is peeping, are you sure she is drinking enough? Sometimes when a chin is stressed from say a move they don't drink as much as they should. I don't know if this works with all chinchillas but I added 1 part unsweetened apple juice to 3 parts water when Nyx first came home and wasn't drinking much. It not only got her to drink more but made her urine really smelly. Might help you find where she is peeping.

Good luck!
Yeah she just came home, i will try that, anyone else have any other ideas? Darn i dont have any apple juice though :( how long did you need to do this?

Last edited:
My chin always pees in one corner so that is where I put my litter pan. Then I put in some soiled bedding with the litter so she would get the idea. I agree with the idea of putting down paper towels under the bedding to give you an idea where your chin soils. Or you could try lining cage floor with fleece and look/smell for urine.

My chin always pees in one corner so that is where I put my litter pan. Then I put in some soiled bedding with the litter so she would get the idea. I agree with the idea of putting down paper towels under the bedding to give you an idea where your chin soils. Or you could try lining cage floor with fleece and look/smell for urine.

Yea im about to get a fleece lining instead of bedding

Latest posts

Back