Urine stains on chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

keninphilly

Ok, so Niko continues to just pee wherever he feels like it. I clean the wood ledges and shelves with peroxide and scrub with a metal scour pad every few days, however I noticed tonight that both Julian and Niko have an orange "stain" between their testicles up to almost the tip of their tails.

I know that this is caused from them sitting in the urine.

My question is how do you clean this off of them? I know that I could use water, however I don't want to spend several hours with a blow dryer on them, and I don't want to traumatize them.

I have tried and tried, over and over again, to get Niko to pee in the bedding, however he still does what he wants anyway. I have conceded to the fact that this is the way he is and I just have to deal with it.

Any suggestions??

Unscented baby wipes + dust baths as Cat said is great.
When I first got my guy, it was heck. He had urine stains on himself and a few extra dust baths got it cleared up in no time.
I don't know what to tell you about them peeing on the shelves though, the most my chins do is poo on theirs. Maybe someone with more experience than me will come along with a nifty trick or something...Good luck though!

You can try unscented baby wipes and lots of dusts baths.

Unscented baby wipes + dust baths as Cat said is great.
When I first got my guy, it was heck. He had urine stains on himself and a few extra dust baths got it cleared up in no time.
I don't know what to tell you about them peeing on the shelves though, the most my chins do is poo on theirs. Maybe someone with more experience than me will come along with a nifty trick or something...Good luck though!

Baby wipes??? I was thinking to myself that that is just too easy. Thanks!!

You can try rearranging your shelves

I have rearranged all the shelves numerous times and also wiping them down with vinegar to eliminate scent, thinking that if there is a smell then he'll continue to go in the same spot. However no shelf is safe, he just pees wherever he is when the urge hits.

I heard someone say once that after getting fleece liners they no longer pee on their shelves. They also stopped using their litterbox though, but I have had success with litterbox and liners.

Id try litterboxes, or taking the shelves out for a week then adding a shelf at a time. Like one a day. If he pees on a certain one take it out and wait another day and put it in a different spot. I will not tell you this is going to work, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:
You could try making a pile of bedding etc. on the main shelf that you see the pee, and then putting the wet bedding into the litterbox. Chins tend to pee in one spot, so maybe they are trying to pee in their box, the shelf just got in their way:tease:

You could try making a pile of bedding etc. on the main shelf that you see the pee, and then putting the wet bedding into the litterbox. Chins tend to pee in one spot, so maybe they are trying to pee in their box, the shelf just got in their way:tease:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing

i think that once they pee in a spot they will continue to pee there no matter how hard you try to scrub the scent off lol....i have the same problem with a corner of my bedroom...my chinny peed there when i first got her....and most times she is out for play time she will pee there...no matter how many times i bleached/lysoled that corner lol...ive caught her in the act...she has the funniest position and look of her face...i didnt know what to do because i did not want to run at her to get her to stop and scare her...so i just let her do it :/

Back