URI Help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milo if your mom is a nurse and you are a vet tech, why do you even bother with oral antibiotics at all? I've yet to have a chin go off it's feed with injectable Baytril (or oral either, as I stated above). You should both be more than capable of giving injectable to him.

If your vet is experienced with chins, he should have recommended injectable Baytril as it is much easier on a chin than using it orally and it wouldn't cause the stomach upset.

I know that she could possibly die from this. But I have high hopes for her! Look at what she has already gotten through. I have been here for her the whole entire time. Shes a strong chinchilla and we will get through this! I don't care if you thought that I wanted the Terriymycin for my convience because I know the truth. I wouldn't care if I had to take her to the vets every single day. As long as shes ok.

I will talk to him about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i handfed richie exclusively i filled 4 of the 10cc syringes in the morning, afternoon & evening. i would try to get him to at least eat 3 of them and much of the time he would eat 4. so he would eat between 90 & 120 cc's. at one point he ate as much at 160! i used to weigh him pretty much every day and record his food intake & weight.

since milo already is having some appetite issues and you are supplementing, why not give the baytril a try again. i have never used the injectible, but since you have vet experience, i am sure it would be much easier on you to give milo the needle. sounds like from the experience above, that is the way to go.

maybe milo just has had some bad luck, but if it was me.......i would try to get rid of this infection and get back to a happy popcorning chin!

Lu got 90ml a day of CC/LL mix, and that amount still did not stop a 30gm weight loss and I had to up it to 120ml a day to stop the slide.

I would ask the vet to swab the nasal discharge & send it off for M,C & S. You need to know what you're dealing with, not just be flinging antibiotics at Milo in the random hope it works. I would also want it done to ensure that she does not have anything like pasteurella since she already had infection problems.

In the meantime I totally agree with Peggy - get injectable Baytril & hit this URI hard. I would want to ensure that anything underlying this second infection is dealt with - poor Milo can't keep going through this stuff.

Just wanted to let you all know that Milo is doing good! She's on Baytril now and it seems that shes getting better! Shes eating the CC off of the spoon and is eating as much as she wants, But she still won't eat her food. Gram scale says she does weight 365g. As soon as she gets over this URI I will be taking her into the vets to have her looked over really well!

For now I'd just let her eat as much CC as she wants. When she's feeling better, putting some weight on, and over the infection, then you can worry about getting her back onto her pellets.

Milo is doing awsome! She is now eating hay! Which is a big step up for her. So far no discharge coming out of her nose for 5 days now. So I will keep my eye on her. Thanks for all the help everyone!!! :)

Glad to hear the news about Milo. Still keep a close eye on her, but that's great she's eating some hay.

When my chinchilla Furby was on Baytril he refused to eat his pellets for some time after the fact, but he would eat hay. Gradually he got back to pellets, like over a month later. Furby's a weird one, not to say that Milo will do the same thing. But don't worry too much about that, I'm happy to hear she's doing better!

Latest posts

Back