Update on Jack's eye

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

Well, it's been a month now... and CnQ was down for most of that time. But here's what's going with my little one.

If y'all forgot... Jack's eye proptosed right before Christmas (I know, he's got great timing). So they put it back in and a week later, the sutures were removed and he was put on an anti-inflammatory and antibiotics. He eats, runs, drinks and poops normally (except when he bites the antibiotic bottle and gets a tinge of green poop). But his eye is still cloudy and we're going back AGAIN to the vet tomorrow to have him checked. The vet says he has an ulcer on his eye and corneal edema.

You can check out the most recent pictures of his eye here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jesse0223/Jack02?authkey=rKb9vP1284s#

Any thoughts?

Hi eye looks good except for the cloudy. Normal sized though.

Would you mind posting his whole eye history to this forum so others who have something like this happen can read of your experience. :)

I'm wondering if your vet gave any idea as to if/when the ulcer and edema may clear.

Nancy.... Will do!!

Kalandra- we got the edema down by taking him off the anti-inflammatories (no idea how that makes sense.) But he still has a very thin line of an ulcer left. No real idea when it's gonna clear... we've been doing this for over a month now. But I'm being patient... I'm just glad the eye is still staying in and the swelling is down, so there's a much lower risk of it proptosing again at this point. And despite the cloudiness and the ulcer- hey, at least it's not necrotic and infected. I'm counting my blessings and keeping the little one happy... that's all I can do.

Wow interesting. I hope you didn't think I was questioning your care, I just got very interested in eye things last year when dealing with Riley's cancer. We saw a veterinary ophthalmologist (cancer started in that area) and he sparked an interest in other eye conditions in hedgehogs for me.

It definitely sounds like you are doing all you can. I do find it interesting that taking him off the anti-inflammatory worked. You'd think it would help as sometimes edemas are caused by inflammation.

I do find it interesting that taking him off the anti-inflammatory worked. You'd think it would help as sometimes edemas are caused by inflammation.

Ah yes, but some anti-inflammatories (notably steroids) cause fluid retention. Stopping them reduces the fluid retained in tissue.

True true, didn't think about that at the time I read the thread. Guess I needed more coffee :) Excellent point.

Wow interesting. I hope you didn't think I was questioning your care, I just got very interested in eye things last year when dealing with Riley's cancer. We saw a veterinary ophthalmologist (cancer started in that area) and he sparked an interest in other eye conditions in hedgehogs for me.

It definitely sounds like you are doing all you can. I do find it interesting that taking him off the anti-inflammatory worked. You'd think it would help as sometimes edemas are caused by inflammation.

Oh no, I didn't think you were questioning my care... and even if you did I wouldn't take it personally ;) That's what we're all here for, right?

I think my comments were really more for myself than for you... lol. It's been very frustrating dealing with this and just... waiting. For awhile, the eye wasn't getting better, but wasn't getting worse- just, well, not better.

I think the problem with the anti-inflammatory was that it competed with the antibiotic for the ulcer. Certain steroids don't help healing... which is why I think the eye is getting better now off of them.

So we need to get rid of the ulcer before we try to do anything about the cloudiness....

Back