Training question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

djeaton

We've had Sweetie (our first chin) for almost a week now. She's usually laying around the cage in the mornings and afternoons napping. This morning however, when I came out into the living room where her cage is, she came right up to the bars by the doors, jumped up on one of her rocks, and did that soft "woot! woot! woot! woot!" sound she makes. When I opened the cage, she didn't run for cover or anything, but seemed real interested in checking out my hands as if to see if I had something in them. I pulled out a pinch of oats, and she climbed up on one hand to eat them out of the other. So my noob question is this. Was this a fluke and coincidence, or is one of us training the other? At this point, oats are the only edible treat she's getting and only when she's hand-fed them.
D.

Sounds like my guys bumming for their oaties/shreddies/rose hips at night. :) She's been there long enough to start to learn your routine, so that part of the morning might be a good time for her "tucking in"-- cuddles or a small treat before she goes to sleep for the day. I don't do this with my guys because I work second shift-- they've been asleep for several hours when I usually get up and I try not to disturb them-- but they know when I get in at night that I'm going to take a shower and then come give scritches and snuggles, and they get a treat when they're back in their cage. Smart little critters, especially when there's food involved!

it is a wonderful sign it means she trusts you and is getting super comfortable. She is training you to give her oats :)

Also, in my experience ( and this is not with every chin ) sometimes oats everyday constipate them..you can always switch it up with a treat of another type of hay that is good for them, crushed rose hips, or apple sticks!

Also, in my experience ( and this is not with every chin ) sometimes oats everyday constipate them..you can always switch it up with a treat of another type of hay that is good for them, crushed rose hips, or apple sticks!
Probably should switch it up a bit. She didn't like Cheerios. Couldn't find any non-frosted shredded wheat squares. Haven't seen any rose hips in any of the pet stores I've visited. Where is the best place to get them?
D.

What an appropriate name. What a sweet little girl !

Haven't seen any rose hips in any of the pet stores I've visited. Where is the best place to get them? D.

I get them at a human health food store in the bulk jars, just ask them. They say they are like $12 a pound but they are light, you can get a lot for $1.00

She is definitely training you! Wait til you start to get what I lovingly refer to as the treat "staredown". I have 8 chins they will stretch themselves up tall looking for a treat whenever I pass by their cage or turn to look at them while they are in it! I'm a sucker for the treat staredown! I give a variety of treats, plain shredded wheat one half, dried rose hips, vegetable rotini, plain cheerios or a pinch of oats. I never give the shreddie or oats back to back, I also do an apple stick as a treat.
My only downside to this? Only Leonard truly appreciates scritches because everyone else sees fingers coming at them and they assume there's a treat in the them!

I've only been able to find unsweetened shredded wheat consistantly, at Jewel!
First time I found them, they were on sale for $2.00, and I bought 10!

aww that sounds sooo cute! Sounds like Sweetie is a happy girl! :)

Latest posts

Back