Tips On Bonding With Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshB.

I have had my two chinchillas for a little over a week now. They are my first chinchillas, so I didn't know completely what to expect. Everytime I open their cage door, they run away. They generally don't even let me pet or scratch their ears. When I take them out for play time, they just hide most of the time, they won't let me hold them, and they run away when I try to put them back in their cage. Does anyone have any tips on how to bond with them, or is this completely normal? Thanks.

That's common with new chinnies... they just need time to warm up to you. To help things along, you can just sit by their cage while you read/work/etc, talk to them, just put your hand in the cage and let them come to you. Just take it slow - try not to force anything. Another thing that can help is to give them a piece of their normal hay or pellets by hand as if it's a treat - they don't know the difference :) Good luck!

That's common with new chinnies... they just need time to warm up to you. To help things along, you can just sit by their cage while you read/work/etc, talk to them, just put your hand in the cage and let them come to you. Just take it slow - try not to force anything. Another thing that can help is to give them a piece of their normal hay or pellets by hand as if it's a treat - they don't know the difference :) Good luck!

OK, thanks. I'm glad to hear that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Where did you get your chinchillas?

Chinchillas take along time to get friendly if they were not handled at a very young age. Your best bet would be to make a specific time every day that you take them out. And make sure you stick to it, every single day. Chinchillas like a schedule and if you keep this up you will become part of their lives.

The best way in my opinion is to make a room with nothing on the floor. The bathroom is a common choice (with the seat down on the toilet) I perfer the dining room. Put all the chairs up and seal the doors. After that just add some thing for them to jump over, crawl through, and hide in and your good to go. Then put them in and sit with them for about a half an hour. Sitting with them is the key, sit still and let them explore you at their own comfort, don't move just talk gently. It will take a while but they will warm up to you. I would put only a very few toys in at first and a chinchillas natural curiosty will draw them to check you out.

Also, spend as much time sitting next to their cage as possilbe, let them get used to you, your smell, your voice, and the way you usually move. They will of course prefer each others company to yours but they will eventually warm to you.

As for running away when you wish to put them back, mine still do this when playtime is over. They would rather curl up and take a nap in the play area then go back. Like children at the park, exhausted but they still don't want to go home. This is not unusual.

It's a long process but it is worth it. Chinchillas are alot of work and have good memories. Try to let them associate you with fun playtime, yummy treats like applewood chews, and a calming voice.

i hope this helps.

Another really great tip I have gotten is to put the dust bath in your hands, and lay them flat in the cage. Let them realize it is their dust and smell you . Don't move toward them, but let them come to you. Be patient and soon they will be rolling in your hands. Then, they will start to associate your hands with their fun time!

I agree and what you are describing sounds pretty normal to me. Like suggested already, consistently talk to them in a calm soft voice...put your hand in the cage and let them come to check you out. They have to get used to your scent as well as the different smells and sounds in their new environment. You have to keep in mind that chinchillas are "prey" animals and will always be a little skittish and ready to run and hide...it's their natural reaction. Make sure they have a hidey house or something they can hide in for security. Be consistent with what you do, get them on a schedule of playtime, bath time, etc. and it may make their transition easier.

Just as an example, my first chin took about 3 months before he fully trusted me...I mean I could pet him and occasionally pick him up, but he stopped running and hiding every time he saw me coming. One of my other boys was fine in just about 2 weeks. It really depends on the chin though, they can be just as different as us silly humans ;)

Congrats on your babies. Read the FAQ's section in each forum category...there is alot of information to learn about chinnies and this is probably the best place to learn!!

Patience is the key Josh. Spend time everyday just sitting outside of their cage and talking to them. They need to get used to you and learn to trust you. This is very normal sounding behavior for new chins and I have several chins who I've owned for a couple of years now that don't like scritches so it's not always a given they will like getting them. The more time you spend with them the more they will learn you are a friend and not a foe.

The Dust bath in hands idea is a good one. Never heard it before, but that sounds like a good one and a lot of fun. Another idea I like is if you are feeding suppliment, instead of feeding it in their dish or a separate dish, let them eat it out of your hands. (Could even do w/ old fashion (makes sure its the old fashion, not the quick oats) oats) They love it and usually even the shyest chin will come for a treat if you hold real still.

Patience is the key Josh. Spend time everyday just sitting outside of their cage and talking to them. They need to get used to you and learn to trust you. This is very normal sounding behavior for new chins and I have several chins who I've owned for a couple of years now that don't like scritches so it's not always a given they will like getting them. The more time you spend with them the more they will learn you are a friend and not a foe.

This is so true. When I got my chin, she wouldn't let me near her, I couldn't touch her, and she was always kacking at me. I started out with letting her run around in my bathroom, with me sitting on the floor, and letting her run around me and on me without me trying to reach out and touch her. We did this for quite awhile before I could briefly touch her as she bounded by. I also spent a lot of time talking to her and being near her in her cage, again, never trying to pet her, but getting her used to my presence. Patience does pay off because she is now a very lovable chin who comes running up to me when I approach her. Don't try too hard, and don't rush things. The less hard you try and let her approach you on her own terms, the faster the process will be and they will learn to trust you. You have two, while I only had one, so I am imagining they will bond with eachother first before they bond with you. Oh - and they never stop trying to escape. You can see the wheels turning in my chin's head as she is planning how she can escape. "If I get on mommy's back and sit on her shoulders, I can then jump over my pen and make my getaway"!

Josh, my first chin wouldn't let me pet her until a few months ago so a year and half later of ownership....I think it has something to do with the second chin arriving and her not liking to share attention so she started acting cuter clever little brats.

Patience is a virtue as well as stillness. Bria would hide out a whole lot at first. Now she gets herself into trouble all the time cuz she doesn't stay in hiding so much.

I like sitting by the cage and reading to new chins that I get. Sit right up against their cage so they can explore and smell you (but just sit while they do so) and they get used to the sound of your voice. Works everytime for me:thumbsup:

Back