Taking a Chinchilla over Canadian/USA Boarder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chintastic

I am located only 30 minutes from the US boarder i want to drive a few hours to get this amazing chinchilla, what do i need to do to take it back over with me? i am also going to some shows so incase i come back with a new chin i need to no what paper work needs to be ready

Serena didn't take anything with her. I think she just drove over and back. Shipping is a hassle, driving wasn't a big deal. I think she paid like $5.00 either per chin or for the lot of them she drove over.

Call the border crossing and talk to them. Chinchillas are regulated under livestock and do not need health certs. I recommend printing this page and taking it with you. However if nobody has seen one they will hold you up for a vet to get there. If there is no vet on duty, you're SOL. Some of the smaller crossings have limited hours, you'll want to check on that too.

I've crossed dozens of times with chins at most of the WA/CAD border crossings and never had much of an issue with the actual crossing but have been asked some pretty bizarre stuff. Ronda got caught going into Canada by a boarder patrol and lost a chin while waiting inside for three hours. Once they take you inside you can not go back out to your car and they do not let you leave it running. While the PNW chapter shows were running I don't think there were any other issues crossing with chins. Just tell them it's a pet.

I know you are supposed to pay tax on them.

Otherwise you really shouldn't have any issues. :))

Back