Swollen Penis - Please help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick and emily

Last night I went to do my routine hair ring checks on my boys. I noticed Rico's little "pouch" (or whatever its concidered when its all in) looked a bit thicker than usual. I pulled out his penis and it looks swollen. The shaft was a little thicker and the tip a little swollen. I cant tell if there are purple areas from being swollen or if its just "veiny" in that area or both. His penis usually goes right back in but it stayed out and he had to fix it. There was no hair ring. His penis was completely clean. Hes eating and acting normal. I checked on it tonight and its the same. If theres no hair ring, why would his penis be swollen like this?

he may have had a hair-ring that he took care of himself. keep an eye on it and remember that you can always lubricate it with ky-jelly to help it back.

Hes almost 3. He has a cagemate they were playing last night. Hes eating normally and acting normal. Ive been working a lot the past 2 days so I havent noticed if hes peed but the bedding is wet in his corner where he likes to go. I checked him this morning. It looks like the swelling went down some. His penis went back in a lot easier. I think it may be getting better but I just want to be cautious.

Hes almost 3. He has a cagemate they were playing last night. Hes eating normally and acting normal. Ive been working a lot the past 2 days so I havent noticed if hes peed but the bedding is wet in his corner where he likes to go. I checked him this morning. It looks like the swelling went down some. His penis went back in a lot easier. I think it may be getting better but I just want to be cautious.

Keep some lube on hand just in case. Seeing as you need to check it to keep track of it, you don't want to irritate it more:thumbsup:

I had something similar happen. Our best guess is he bit himself while cleaning, or actually tore the penis out farthur than it should go, hurting the sheath. His penis was HUGE, twice the normal size, and would not go in the sheath at all. There was no hair, but looked like tissue damage. We brought him to the vet, got him on antibiotics and pain meds, and he is back to new! The problem was, that while his penis was hanging lose out of the sheath, then he would get hair rings daily. We tried fleece liners which made it worse, but eventually just cleaned it ten times a day and he finally healed. Poor guy!

If your chin is not looking better by now I would bring him to the vet.

Back